Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rear pup dead???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so the rear pickup on my 2003 MIA fender jazz just crapped out.

is this common?

what could it be?

how can i fix it?

what should i do?

ps...i don't know much about repairs...

2. Might want to see if a wire came loose.

3. Is it a passive bass (no batteries)? If so and it just went dead, it is probably just a wire...worst case is a broken pickup...if you understand electronic schematics, get one from one of the pickup manufacturer's websites and get a cheap ohmmeter and start tracing it out...

if you're not prepared to take this on...bring it to a tech or a friend who knows something about guitar electronics...

it shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes to assess what the problem is...if its a pickup...you're out about $60-$80 plus the cost of a repair (but it is unlikely that it is a pickup).

4. A pickup is merely a coil of wires. That's all, a coil of wire. Nothing moves, there isn't any high voltage or high current, merely some copper wire tightly wrapped around something. The wire in a pickup is held in place very securely, so it's not likely to flex and fail from vibration.
    In other words, there really isn't anything to go wrong with the pickup itself, unless it comes apart mechanically, or something really bizarre happens....highly unlikely.

What CAN happen though--and often does--is a failure somewhere in the rest of your instrument's circuits. Wires that are soldered to potentiometers or switches can break because they aren't held securely. Switch contacts can become corroded. Potentiometers can become oxidized internally. If the switches or pots become slightly loose, wires can break or they can become shorted to something else.

With a $15 volt-ohmeter from Radio Shack and a little training, a tech can easily diagnose your problem.