Rear rack rail support... HUH?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, I can build a computer and I made it through college okay, but...

How does an amp or any piece of rack gear get supported by the rear rails?

I just got a QSC poweramp from one of the great guys here on TB and the poweramp has the rear rack holes, but it's 90 degrees from the rear rack rails. Is there an adapter you have to buy? How do you support the rack from the back?

Help. Please. :confused:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

QSC sells 'em on their site I believe, as does Penn Fabrication and Middle Atlantic, through various dealers. They are "L" shaped brackets with a few different rack dimensions being workable. They need to be configured this way to allow adjustability, and a way of getting the amp into the case to begin with.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA

Hmm...but what if I wanted to mount this in one of my non-rear rack having rack cases? Is there a way to still give rear rack support? Please tell me there is.

Just for reference, I am trying to put it in one of those rolling SKB cases that I'm sure is gonna do some bouncing around. Any rack tricks that anyone knows to better secure items? I'd appreciate it.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    What we used to do in the bad old days was to support those rear supports using "plumbers tape".

That is that perforated metal strip about 3/4 inch wide and not very thick.

Attach at top of rack,after bolting to amp (that way everything aligns).

It works, given that what the rear supports are mostly for is vertical support. if you dump over the rack, it won't help much.

What's scary is about 5 or 6 amps all supported in a PA rack with that silly thin metal strip at the back.....but it never failed for us.