1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rear Route wiring technique

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blipndub, May 6, 2010.

1. I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insights into the challenges of wiring a rear routed jazz bass. Without a control plate I should think grounding issues would arise. Is copper shielding an absolute must on these basses?

P1050132.

2. I don't see what the problem is? Just be sure you ground the pots and output jack properly.

FWIW, IMO, copper shielding is a must for ANY bass.

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1

4. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I always like to do as much of the work as possible on cardboard first.

Just lay a piece down on the front, flip the bass over, and trace through the holes onto the cardboard with a pencil. Then use a pencil or pen to push through the cardboard to make holes for the pots and mount all the pots, switches and jacks to the cardboard.

Of course this isn't a big deal if you're wiring the bass up passive but it will save you a headache or two if you're going to be wiring up a preamp. You get to try out the preamp configuration before its "in the hole" and harder to see.

Some tips when using this method:

Lay a towel over the body when you're soldering the pickup leads to the pots (or anything else you installed with leads).

If you are using a long barrel side-mount jack, solder wires(leads) to the jack, thread them through the hole and install the jack, then solder those leads to where they need to go.

Test everything first before you remove things from the template for install.

Keep the template for later use, write the serial number and model of the bass on it for reference. You can even go as far as penciling in a mock-up wiring diagram that "point-to-point" wires the bass, then you don't have to open the bass at a later date to refresh your memory as to what you did in there.

If you install an active preamp later, or change controls/layout, start a new template off your current one and take all your old controls off the bass and put them on the old template. You can switch back in a hurry if needed. You also have a very handy reference if there are issues with the new configuration.

It might seem crazy to do this, but in the many years I've been doing work like this, its paid off more times than I can count.

5. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Is that mahogany? nice. I would get a pair of noiseless PU's for that beauty

6. It's a maple top over alder I think. I have an old set of Fender pickups from a standard jazz bass from about 1999 that I really like. They are really growly and punchy, nice for a fretless, which this one will be as well. The last time I wired up a rear route the noise was incredible even though it seemed that the wiring was all correct, so i wondered if there was some "trick" to wiring a jazz bass without a control plate since maybe the control plate has a role in grounding? I guess not!

7. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Ground to bridge.