rear-supporting PLX amps with SKB-cases?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tightanic, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    I've seen that some guys on talkbass use QSC PLX amps and SKB cases. The manual says that it's essential to support the rear of any PLX amp in a rack case. Is this really necessary? I thought that they're light enough to be sufficently secure with front-mounting only.
    Since I'd like to use SKB cases in the future, do they offer any possibility to support the rear end of an power amp?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

i wonder if this works for RMX series as well
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've been using a PLX in a SKB RollX 3 space case for the last while, front secured only. Seems fine
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    To support the rear of the amp, your rack case obviously needs to have rear rack rails.

The PLX amps are light enough that you can probably get away without rear support, but I installed them anyway. The PLX amps are relatively shallow, and you might have an interesting time making the support brackets connect if the rack is 16" or more deep!

The RMX amps are heavy and really do need the rear supports.

You can buy rear support brackets from QSC's web site for about $25.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mine seems solid as a rock, (PLX + 20" deep CNB rack).

However, since they don't cost much, I'm getting the rear rack mounting ear mount thingies that QSC offers to support the rear of the amp, just to play it safe (they're mentioned in the manual) -

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can get by with not securing the back of a PLX amp. But if you ever accidentally drop your SKB case, you'll wish you had.

That's something I discovered myself a few years ago when I procrastinated installing the rear rack ears on my PLX 1602, which is mounted in a standard 4-space SKB case. Fortunately, the amp front handle/rack tab and the front rail of the case weren't bent too badly, but straightening them out was a hassle I would've gladly done without.

E-mail me at for an application note on using rear rack ears on a PLX amp in an SKB (or similar) rack case.
  7. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Thanks a lot, I imagined that I would be fine without it, but you can never go wrong with some additional safety. Talking about the standart SKB cases, do they have mounting rails on both sides (both doors) in order to mount something from the backside? The rear support "ears" seem to work like that. :meh: