1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rear tuning port question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I own an Ampeg BA-115, and my two rear tuning ports were accidentaly removed about a year ago (the cylindrical cardboard inserts in the back). I noticed it didn't sound as good, so I researched these and found out that they are essential to the amp. So a friend and I found some old cardboard mailing tubes, and cut them to about the same size as the actual tuning ports, sanded them down, and stuck them in. I was wondering if any SLIGHT difference from these ghetto rigged tuning ports will change the sound that the amp would have with the ACTUAL tuning ports. Is it an exact sort of thing where the tuning ports HAVE to be a certain size, or is it just the overall concept of having them?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I know there is a science to this concept. Big ol' bump...let's hear what the pros have to say!

Riis

3. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Ports are tuned to the specific driver and box. If you made them the same length and diameter as the original ones, then you're fine. If they're different, the response will be different.

Asad

4. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    They're within an inch in length, and they're the exact diameter (exactly as wide and wide enough to fit in the place where you insert them).

5. I e-mailed Emminence and Celestion asking for input on driver choice and porting info when I was thinking about replacing the speaker and closing the back of an acoustic guitar amp so I could use it with an acoustic/electric bass. They gave me the appropriate diameter of the port and the reccomended tube length. Both also said to tune the port to my liking by increasing/decreasing the port length.

Sounds to me like your fine if your liking the sound.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In that case, you shouldn't have any problems.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So, how does it sound?

Riis

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I sit at the right hand of Petebass, and bless your port.

9. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    It sounds fine to me IMO, but I'm sort of in the mindset "Could it sound better if I had the actual ones"

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about something so simplistic. : P

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I highly doubt it. It's probably just your mind playing tricks on you.