Reason for a Tele bass (original P)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I've yet to see or play a Tele *or original P* bass or one in the style of. I love the look, and am considering putting one together via Warmoth. However, I thought for a second that my jazz bass could get the same tone with the neck pup soloed.

Someone tell me different, I wanna but/assemble this bass!
  2. The ubiquitous Sting signature model is a replica of a pre-1957 P-Bass.
  3. Yes, I know, but I've never had the chance to play one. For some reason, my local GC doesn't feel the need to stock Stings or RB5s, let alone *anything* in flats.

I just wanna know if my Jazz can get a similar sound, thus saving me the time and money *which would be spent on a Bass VI!* :p
  4. You can get a similar tone from the Jazz but the old P-Basses have a more percussive "thump" than you'll be able to get from a Jazz with the neck pickup soloed. You must have the only GC in the country that doesn't have a Sting model in stock!
  5. I know, even the local Sam Ash *which had an RB5, a Bass VI and several 75 RI MIJ and MIA (which GC never carries)* did not have it
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    that's an intereting question.

i am a Precision bass player and i own a MIA Precision. mine has the maple fingrboard. and it's strung with D'addario Slowound which are roundwound strings. i have also a rickenbacker 4001. i'd love to have a jazz bass but i still feel as primary need another Precision to be used with flat. i have really different ways, a Precision from Fender, a 51 Precision, or a kit from parts.

since i have played an original' 51 Precision and the Sting i can say that the single coil pickup of this kind of bass is really similar to the split coil pickup of the Precision. to be honest i prefer the split coil, but the single is great for flats strings. really thumpy, even if i love how the split coil is boomy with flats.

said that to me it's more a cosmetic thing. '51 Precision looks great to me. but since i prefer to have a different animal from my Precision, I'd go with a rosewood fingerboard and probably i'll order a kit from Brandoni guitars in London.
  7. I own an early 90's (93/94) MIJ '51 Reissue, and I must say I am a little disappointed. Sure - it looks and plays absolutely great and has the most comfortable neck (really fat!) I have ever played, but the sound! It seems as if the single coil PUP on this one lacks a whole lot in the lowend as well as overall. Almost no punch or power. Plus, the hum is almost always there and can get very annoying at times. If you ask me, this bass sounds nothing like the ordinary, split-coil precision. Well, I guess this is what you are after when you buy or even consider the '51 Reissue, but I have found that the post '57 Precisions suit me much better. Don't get me wrong, however - this bass is absolutetly stunning and of GREAT quality, but I somtimes feel that the sound is ... A little weak, maybe. Not enough output, no real bite. Maybe I should try one of the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups?
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  9. Darn you! Now I *have* to start this project. I don't really have the money for it, but this is the sound that Ive been wanting for a long time, thumping P sound without the boom that is hard to deal with.
  10. This is the problem I encountered. The low-end is almost non-existant. However, the higher sounds are just GORGEOUS. If I had the cash, I'd pull the trigger on one of these and then a seperate bass for lower stuff. Yes, I'm just that crazy.