Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reason for MF's Reverend closeout.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 27, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Does this mean that there going to be sold at store's more?and for cheaper?

I'm confused:confused:

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think he means that they are going to work like Carvin does, without the customizing that is. You call 'em, you order what you want, and then they send it to you. They are eliminating the middle man.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No; and you won't have to worry about "cheaper," since there will only be one price. No more calling up 900 stores to find a bargain.

The Carvin/Dell instant-custom way of doing business. It's for the better, IMO.

4. It means they're NOT going to be sold new in stores anymore. But yes, cheaper.

Wow, interesting news. IIRC Lakland USED to sell direct and then went to retail. It seems unusual to do the reverse. Plus, Reverends were relatively inexpensive to begin with. What's a 5 string gonna go for now, $350.00? :eek:

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    We can only hope... Let's look at it this way... Carvin says their LB70 is $1399 List. (Please keep in mind that these numbers really mean nothing. Realize this is pure speculation, and that List prices are meaningless. I have always had a feeling that Carvin has been a little "generous" with their list pricing.) They sell it for $659, no options. That's 47.1% of list. Now, let's assume that Reverend keeps their currest List price (remember, these are ALL assumptions, for illustrative purposes only), and they decide to sell direct at, oh, let's say 55%. If a Rumblefish retails at $899, then Reverend might be selling them for as low as $494! This is about what they are going for as their "closeout" price... one can assume that their new going rate will be about the same. Of course, Reverend might tack on $100-$200 extra dollars, just because they can. If they were to match Carvin's List/Going price ratio, a Rumblefish would only cost $423! But they probably won't. We'll have to wait and see, eh?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Even if they grab a greater % of list, it'll still be cheaper than the dealer markup.

Everybody wins.

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Ive been wanting an XL for about a year now, i cant wait to see the new price

8. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Actually, it seems kinda smart. Put their stuff in retail stores all over the country. Within a couple of years most bass players have either seen, played, or owned one. Yank it out of the stores and sell direct, no more middleman to deal with, no more hassles, and they now have the name recognition and industry presence to pull it off. Better than starting from scratch trying to sell direct. Good plan....bravo!

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Reverend factory is within driving distance for me. If the prices drop enough, I might just have to stop by and pick one up - no shipping charges! :D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Grr....so many basses, and these cheap...and so little money.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    No doubt!

Let's pool our money, Brendan. I'll take the bass every Monday and Wednesday, you can have it every Tuesday and Thursday and we'll alternate holidays and weekends. Cool?

12. dang, i don't know whether to be upset that i bought my reverend too early, or happy for the people that are going to be getting such unbelievable quality for their money.

13. I've been looking at Rumblefish, but have never had the oportunity to play one. How do they sound? How well do they play?

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like everything about them except their construction. They seem very delicate. If you take your thumb and forefinger and squeeze the bass on its two sides you can feel and see your fingers making a impression on the surface of the bass. To flexible for me, I’m too hard on my gear for a bass like that. Nice sounding bass though...

15. Most of the bass and guitars on MF are over priced anyways.

16. I bought one of the Reverends on closeout at Musician's Friend, and I must say I'm very happy with my purchase! I bought the turquoise one. It looks, sounds, and plays great! I'm eager to see what their new prices will be though.

On a side note, I also chose FedEx 2-Day Express for shipping. It shipped Monday from Missouri I believe, and I received it Tuesday! Now that's fast! Plus, the bass came in great condition with the action VERY low. In fact, I thought it was going to be too low, but I played it and there was no fret buzz at all! Great bass!:D Can you tell I'm happy with it?;)

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
  18. Hey Bassplayer7770, mine arrived today and I had the same experience of it arriving with the action set very low without buzz. This if the first bass I've ordered from MF that arrived properly set up! I'm very happy with mine too, and for $549 it's hard to beat (I got the 5L in black)!

19. Sweet deal!:D