1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reason for selling...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killer Canary, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    I love seeing this on a Kijiji ad where someone is selling gear (or cars or blivets) : "Reason for selling; I bought another one".
    Okay, what was wrong with the one that you're selling that you felt a need for another?
    Chucklehead.;)

2. When I've had people over to try out out a bass or guitar, I hide all the new stuff that I replaced it with. First of all, I don't want them knowing I've got a house full of gear, and secondly I don't want them paying more attention to my new replacement than the item I'm selling.

Jim Nazium likes this.
  3. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    You allow them into your home??

4. Well, I was just informed that I shouldn't run a guitar or bass amp on UPS power in a parking lot, so yeah.

I do have another option though. There's a parking lot near me where a 7-11 used to be. They have an outdoor electrical socket & it works.

I'm not sure what I'd tell the cops if they showed up though.

ChrisB2 likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Simply put, the shortest ads sell the best. Even verbally, the shortest pitches sell the best.

Sure, 1 in 75,000 TBers will start a thread pissing and moaning about not enough details in an ad. The rest of us see what we see, do some research online, and buy (or start negotiations) if we are interested.

The more you say, the better your chances of talking someone out of a sale. If you don't say enough, they can always ask questions.

I constantly buy and sell gear. There was nothing at all wrong with the gear I sold. I just wanted something different. So, using your logic, I only sold my old stuff because there was something wrong with it. Not true.

Fleebag likes this.
  6. I don't usually ask why someone is selling it, because if there is something wrong with it, they'll just lie.
    The ones I love are when they volunteer the fact that it was GIVEN to them.

7. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Ask for the reason for buying.

Jim Nazium likes this.
  8. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    You don't find it to be a somewhat pointless statement in a for sale ad?
    I most definitely do.
    Also, I only called you a crook inferentially.
    Sorry eh.:)

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Four paragraphs to say, "Brevity is a virtue?" Okay.

Fleebag, two fingers and sissy kathy like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah. I never said I am any good at it. ;)

11. I've been asked why I'm selling. I felt like saying "to buy money for drugs" but a cooler head prevailed and I just told the guy I had too much stuff.

When reading a for sale ad I really don't want to hear the seller's life story e.g. "I'm going in a different direction" or "My new gig doesn't require a 5 string" or worst of all "The wife says it's gotta go!"

Jim Nazium likes this.
  12. I've overheard some of the stories guys tell at GC when they're selling their gear. It's sad really, because the guy behind the counter doesn't give a toss.