Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reason to Get Mad????

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JonnyParker, Mar 8, 2001.

Should I still be MaD?????

Poll closed Apr 3, 2001.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. JonnyParker

JonnyParker

Mar 8, 2001
    It's December 31, 2000. I am a bass player. I get a call from my vocalist that we are to play the biggest New Year's party in town. 10 Kegs....women, and 10 Kegs. We have never had a single gig and we were actually hunted down to play this party. The guy who put it together actually tracked my vocalist to his house to ask him personally if we could play that night. We are to go on about 6 pm as we are told. Our guitarist is unsure about the circumstances since he has previous obligations with a girlfriend. But it is agreed that there would be enough time to accomplish these engagements after the gig is over. We arrive at the party site and it's rainy and gray. They tell us to set up and that we should start at 7 pm. (Our guitar player has to be home by 9 pm, if he skips out on his plans with his girl then she will be spending New Years Eve all by herself at 12 am, Since she canceled any engagements that she could have chosen, and she could not come to our gig that night regardless) Several other bands arrive and start mentioning that they've heard a bit about us and that they are actually interested in hearing us. We play a warm up and they compliment us on our tight sound. 7 pm rolls in and we are told to wait, it's cold as hell and rainy and miserable. By 8 pm we were tearing down...our guitar player called it and decided to leave to be with his girl. This would have been our first gig and it most definitely would have given us outstanding recognition. Should I still be mad after all these months????? And we are yet to have a gig, since our drummer moved away for a while (this was unknown at the point of the night)

2. this shows an incredible lack of commitment from the guitarist's side.

3. Although it still IS understandable that he'd rather be with his girl on new year's eve...
    I know I would, if I had a girl...:(
    Of course, the prospect of getting a new year's eve gig here would be quite interesting...maybe we should start writing and playing orignals. Then maybe we'll start getting gigs elsewhere, maybe even for next years Youth Arts Festival...

Well, I can always hope...:D:p

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is where the term "flakey musicians" originates. Either commit or don't. Be there, be on time, and be professional. Or "just say no to gigs."

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm with munji. you need to punt that guitarist.

drummer too, sounds like :(.

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Gotta agree with JT and Munji - whether the guitarist likes it or not, if he wants to be in a band he's got to put up with a little inconvinience as regards his private life.

7. i'd be mad, i'd kick him tell him to commit or leave

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    On the other hand, it sounds like a pretty bogus gig.

"Start at 6. No wait, start at 7. No wait, start at 8..."

By that point I would have been telling the party-giver to bite me too.

I don't even want to ask what, if anything, they planned to pay you.

Anyways, as to the guitarist, water under the dam...er, over the bridge...whatever. I'd give him a pass on this one considering the dubious circumstances, especially if he's any good and normally pretty dependable.

9. i think you may need to ditch the guitarist. and if you have a chance for a gig yet the drummer is away, find a drummer for the time being, just for that gig.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree.

11. mullet_head_81

mullet_head_81

Jan 27, 2001
    okie-homa
    The guitarist's g/f shoulda understood that that was a big break for yall, and not bitched and moaned about it. As for drummer, maybe search classifieds :rolleyes:...?

12. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Dont be to mad at him. Its hard when you've got a girl and shes waiting for you. Just sort of nags at you in the back of your mind. Look at the good side: YOU GOT TO PLAY SOMETHING. Its also the dudes fault for pushing it so far back. Just sit him down and have a talk with him about total commitment. We arent all perfect.

13. This does not show lack of commitment at all on the guitarists part IMO.

I think he did exactly what a normal person would do, everyone in life has to make plans. His plans were discussed with the band ahead of time, and even though he had the night planned with his girl he agreed to push HIS plans back so that his band could play the gig. He had no control over the fact that A) it was raining or B) the party organizer was a flake "6, no 7, no 8".

He did exactly what he said he was going to do, he showed up for the time frame he agreed to and then had to go take care of other commitments.

In my experience the fact that he was willing to push his plans back in the first place was a pretty cool thing to do. Alot of people wouldn't have.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You guys were told you would go on @ 6. I'd make plans for later on as well. if he is a friend of your, call a truce & if it happens again, give him the boot. If he is just a guitarist you've jammed with forget him!!!

If it was me, I'd of broke my plans & played the damn gig!!!!!!!!! But than again that's just mostly every1's opinion on TB. :)

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    did he or did he not keep his word?ask yourself.

16. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Be mad at the gig. The guitarist did exactly what he said he would do...you can't blame him if that's who you were.

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Exactly.
    Whoever set this gig up for you had no idea what he was doing. It sounds like the guy who booked you was either a rank amateur or a complete jerk. Either way I wouldn't let it get you down, you are not going to get any sort of "big break" by holding grudges or resenting the past. Take the lessons you learned about commitment, promoters, sacrifice etc. and move on. Don't let this get you down...
    -Dan

18. sint

sint

Dec 24, 2000
    The Netherlands
    If your guitarist is any good, he would be most in love with his music!!!

19. Am I the only person who would rather be with my girlfriend on new years eve than with my band? I don't actually have a band, but I know that she would come first before any gig, especially if I already promised to be with her. I wouldn't be mad at the guitarist, he was in a tough spot, and had to make a tough choice with someone getting hurt, and if those are his priorities, then that's what he had to do.