Reason you played bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Th3rd day, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Th3rd day

Th3rd day

Aug 18, 2004
    Whats the reason you played bass instead of any other instruments.

I started with guitar and drums but I loved the sound of a good bassist and bassists were always needed so I decided to try it out. Good choice. :) I love my basses lol. Ive only been playing bass for 9 months (im 16) but I got a fender jazz MIA and a yamaha :meh: haha rock on.
  2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Mines pretty simple: for me, it sounds the best.

I love the sound of a good, thumping bass. And I connected with it more than any other instrument, I think it might be the physical size of it, or the technique. Fingerstyle is very touchy-feely. :p
  3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA

I'm a dumbass.
  4. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    I love the sound of a bass, bassists to me are always under appreciated and over looked as musicians. I've been playing bass for a year now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Drummers and guitar players are a dime a dozen but excellent bass players ar ehard to come by. :)
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Because everybody else was playing guitar at the time! Plus, I was really into Iron Maiden :bassist:
  6. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    The sound. I would always love rolling in my Uncle's old Jeep way back in the day when he had a couple of 12's in the back. Playing A Tribe Called Quest, MC Breed, (late 80's, early 90's) he kind of unknowingly inspired me to want to learn how to play those groovy basslines.
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    yeah! Steve Harris was da man when I started.
  8. Because I love rythm sections, I prefer rythm than harmony!

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Off to Misc. you soon will go!!
  10. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Because It's easy and it has 4 strings(its got to be easier than 6!!!)ahaha jk..

I played Piano, trumpet, clarinet, then acoustic guitar, then Sax for 4 years.. First played Alto Sax and then moved to Bari-sax and I played alot of the bass stuff and started wondering what it would actually be like if I played the bass. Tried it and then bam fell in love with it.. I think i finally found my instrument that i can truly express myself with.
  11. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    There is something about a really good bass riff that sounds so much better than any other instrument. (Hope this ain't just me!)

Plus the fact that from the age of 7 i've been listening to the Who. You know the influence of the great Ox an all!!
  12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Because the rhythm sections rules.
  13. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I was just a kid but I knew I liked that Boom Boom sound on my older brothers Mowtown and Beatle records. Later on I found out they were sounds of the BASS. I wanted to make those sounds too.
    Happy Times,
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    It was the sound I always heard first in a song.
    The bass to me was out front.
    It picked me.
  15. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I was happily playing guitar one day when a bass player friend of mine let me play his five string through an Ampeg SVT II and 4X10. That was the end of my guitar playing days :smug:

I love the tone and power of the bass. I also like the role the bass plays in the band and the fact that it is (for the most part) a supporting instrument. Everyone wants to hear you shred if you are a guitarist and do some mean solo or something - now, when someone comes up to me and asks me to play something for them, I just pound out straight eighth notes. They think I'm from Mars, but I think it is hilarious and it gets them off my back... :D
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the sound of a bass. So many guitar tones hurt my ears but bass sounds nice. I also like the sound of a nice groove. Really sets the tone of the music.
  17. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Violinist first, then a guitar player for years and years. I'm very good at it, and even somewhat better than our current guitar player. We always had guitar players coming out of the woodwork wanting to play with us, but we seemed to always have trouble keeping a bass player. When our last one moved away 2 years ago, the band leader, also a guitar player, asked me if I would give it a try. I bought a cheap Ibanez GSR200 on a Thursday night at GC, wrote a bunch of cheat notes all over my music, and played a good solid root banging accompaniment by the weekend. When I hit those first few notes with the band, unlike with guitar, there was no doubt which one was me coming out of the mains and I was instantly hooked and never looked back. I still play guitar occasionally just for fun, or to shut up a guitar player wannabe who thinks a bass player can't hang, but bass is in my blood now. :bassist:
  18. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I've always been drawn to bass, since I was a little kid. My dad knew this kickass bass player named Dave Stoltz, and I remember my dad taking me to hang out with him a couple times. This was when I was like 4 or 5, and I still remember asking my dad, "how come those guitars only have 4 strings?" Even as young as 7 I was trying to pick up basslines on the lowest 4 strings of my dad's Yamaha nylon-string classical guitar. What clinched it for me, no kidding, was seeing Dave Coulier do standup on TV, and talking about how cool the bass player was. :)
  19. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I pled piano and composed piano tunes and I always spent an extra long time getting a good bass line down. And I always ended humming the basslines of tunes. Then I heard Green Day and I was like HEY I WANNA DO THAT and I saved up and got me a bass.
  20. Well I'll admit, at first it was just to be in a band, and had real doubts about actually liking bass. I got it, and was unimpressed and put it down for a couple months. Then one day I picked it back up, and really grew to love it. I've learned how bass is. It's not all about being glorified and in the spotlight, its about holding a good groove, and trying all different sorts of thing. There are so many more aspects of bass then guitar, like different techniques (although I may be wrong). Bass players are like a family, and I've really come to realize that. Also, I dont think I would of continued bass if it wouldn't have been for this site. I just want to thank everyone. I love you guys. Thanks TalkBass.

P.S. I'm also wanting to become a member soon, will someone PM me some info on how to do this? Thanks a lot everyone.