Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reason

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by olps, Jul 31, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Does anyone have any experience with the program Reason (I'm looking at you JMX)? I've been contemplating the idea of getting it. What do you like about it? Good price? Worth the money? Are you able to record external sounds/instruments such as a bass guitar? You need an external sythnesizer/keyboard to activate/trigger the samples right? Lastly, it's not really clear to me how the synth's work in Reason, can anyone clear that up for me? Any other info wouls be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have Reason 2.0 and I like it very much.

It's quite a big program when you install both soundbanks (recommended) - 1.09 GB - and an ASIO 2.0-capable soundcard is recommended (e.g. Midiman Audiophile, just don't buy an Audigy).

Reason is geared towards electronic music, e.g. Techno, Trance, DnB, etc., you can do other styles too of course, but since you can't record external audio signal with it it's not the best standalone choice.
    You can hook it to Cubase or Nuendo (Logic to some degree) via rewire though.

Reason has several instruments - software sampler, drum machine, synths, effects, etc. which are controlled by a sequencer. You can create great songs or loops with it, but it's all either virtual synths or samples. It's no DAW soft.

You can download the manual here for a glimpse.

ftp://ftp.propellerheads.se/pub/dist/docs/Reason2Docs.zip (16 MB)

Or check out these sites.

www.reasonstation.net

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/reviews/reason/reason1.asp (Review)

If you have further questions, just ask here or PM me.

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Why would an Audigy soundcard not work with this program? Because I was looking at upgrading to the Platinum Audigy card, if I were to get this program. Thanks.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It would work, but ASIO is limited to 48 kHz with the Audigy, and Creative's driver support is not too good. It also can't do recording in 24 bit, only playback.

They advertise this card for recording, but they geared it too much for the gamers.

The Audiophile is better, it can play AND record up to 24 bit/96 kHz, something the Audigy can't. The converters are of higher quality and the driver support is superb (ASIO drivers, EASI drivers for Logic and GSIF for Gigastudio/sampler). You can get it for around 200$.

5. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Thats good, because with the Audigy Platinum I was looking at about 340$.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Also take a look at the other Delta cards if you need more ins/outs, e.g. Delta 44,66, 1010(LT).

www.midiman.com