Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reasonable Jazz V Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Sep 1, 2004.

1. I've been considering picking up a 5-string jazz bass for awhile and was wondering if there are any low cost alternatives to MIM Fenders and Essex jazzes... I don't really care for the B string on Fender jazzes. The bass really doesn't even have to look like a Fender jazz, just have a passive jazz pickup setup. Any suggestions?

2. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I just bought a Reverend Brad Houser 5 and the tone is excellent, the neck is outstanding, and the quaility is top notch.

3. OK - I can give alot more details :) Looking for a quality jazz-ish 5 string. Price: $800 or less new or used. Don't want a Fender...looking for a better low B then that... Any more suggestions? The MTD Heir 5 looks like a great fit, but can't find a local dealer :(

EDIT - kinda lookin for a passive bass, too...

4. Umm..this will break your $800 limit a little, but the quality is far better than a MIM Jazz V or an MTD Heir 5. Checkout a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5 (www.basscentral.com has for $1049 used, list is $1499). You might be able to find one used for eight-figures. This would last you FOREVER(!!) and would be a worthy investment IMHO.

Rumor has it the Daryl Jones fiver is in the works, but no ETA yet. I kinda like the 21-frets, block inlays, and matching headstock of these, too.

I'm droolin' over a maple, Lake Placid blue Joe Osborne 5 myself...

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Check out the Schecter California Custom 5s.. Lots of pro features for around $650... Alder body, figured maple top, EMG pups, Hipshot hardware, active electronics, 35" scale.

6. Sweet! Hadn't thought of Schecter...and I have a dealer just up the road!

[​IMG]

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Post your findings! :)

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I second the Lakland Skyline JO vote, I really like mine, and i prefer the neckprofile on it compared to Fender's 5.. Mine has a maple board, and sounds very fenderish, like a good 70's jazz bass. Plus, my bass has more bottom to it than any 70's fender with the same woods that i've tried (i haven't tried that many tough). I've seen several on TB for around 650 - 700 used.

9. The JO looks like a great option...VERY jazz-ish :) I'll give er a try also!

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    What's the scale on the JO and how tight is its B?

11. those Reverend Brad housers are nice but i hear that Reverend is going to stop making basses soon if not already. :eek:

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Check out the G&L Tribute L2500. These have active preamps BUT you can always switch it to passive with a flick of a switch. It is 34" scale but it does have thru-body stringing option. Almost every review I've read about these puppies have been very positive.

r

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    (putting on my flack jacket then)...

Personally, I don't like them that much. I think they're very well made, but they lack a certain sheen to their tone, and their necks are too thick for my tastes... even thicker than a P and way thicker than a J (remember, he's looking for a J type bass here). There's a cherryburst deluxe tribute 2500 on the wall across the street from where I work, and I've played it a few times... even took it home overnight 'cause the dealer is motivated to move it.

I'd personally say the L2500 is like a heavy P with a "fat" bridge pickup. I don't think it covers the bite of a typical J type bridge, I don't think it's funk (blended) tone is scooped enough, and again, their tone is a bit too dark for me. IMHO of course.

Now, all you G&L owners out there put down your brand new assault rifles, because remember all this is qualified by the fact that we're looking for a J type bass. I just don't think the G&L 2500 is a J type bass. :D :bag:

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Lucky for you my assault rifle is in the shop, buddy! Grrrr!

Ok, seriously, if the G&L isn't yr bag, then I think the J. Osborne Skyline 5 is the ticket (unless you can afford the domestic one). It’s a J-bass, it has a 5 string option, and it’s passive. Seems to nail the requirements.

r
    PS Viva G&L!!! :spit:

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Hey, I figure yer sorta' kiddin', but for the record, I know G&L's are great basses, otherwise, they wouldn't have the great rep they have. In fact, their JB-2 is awesome, but I don't think they make a 5 string version, otherwise, I'd suggest that. The 2500's are also great, but I just don't think they're a good J alternative. :)

At the risk of bringing a firestorm down on myself, I'm not that huge of a fan of Musicman/Ernie Ball, either, and I know those are also great basses (man, I'm really askin' for it ;) ). Really, tho, I just wanna' make it clear I'm not making a quality statement... just a statement of preference. :)

P.S. Sounds like I better add an Osborne to my GAS list... *sigh*

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I'd also suggest that the JO5 looks like the ideal solution.

OR....a Ken Smith Design 5--they have both ash/maple and a alder/rosewood versions. It's a 2-band but the price is right.

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, great suggestion. I was picturing this bass earlier but just couldn't remember which manufacturer made it. If you don't mind the active eq (which may be by-passable I reckon) then you have yr 5 string J which I hear is an awesome bass and it won't break the bank.

r

18. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Yup. Picked one up new on eBay for about $200 or so whan they came out. Great basses for the $ even at $650.

The Korean MTDs are great too.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You dig the Schecter?

The BP review citing the body as a lead weight turned me off....was I mistaken?