Reasonable price for a 70's Music Man stingray??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I stumbled across a late 70's MM Stingray in a local store today. a 79 I think, I'm not sure of the exact date. It was beautifull!! Natural finish, maple board, black pickguard, all orignal, minty fresh condition. I forced myself to leave the store, before I did something drastic. Needless to say GAS is flaring up right now. :help:

He was asking $1800...this seems pretty high. More than I want to pay, thats for sure. I'm sure I could work something out with the guy. What is a reasonable price to pay?
  2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT

I'm also curious, besides resale value, are there any major differences between pre-EB and new? Is the much higher price tag for a vintage instument worth it?

I like vintage stuff, but it is considerably more than new or newer used.
  3. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I'm not an expert but if the first 3 digits of the serial number are B00 then it is suppose to be worth more than not. I guess that means the first 10,000 produced are better ?? Just my knowledge of if. Also they aren't going to make any more 79 MM basses, so if this thing is really mint, how bad do you want it?
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Better, no.

Rarer, yes.

Most of those first 10,000 have very rusty hardware.

I've seen '76 and '77 'Rays selling on the net for $2,500. I think it's more like collecting baseball cards now. The early, rare ones are worth more strictly for their collectability.

In my opinion, a brand new 2-band EQ 'Ray, set up properly, sounds every bit as good as one that's almost 30 years old. Your mileage may vary.
  5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Pre-EB is string-thru-body design.

Pre-EB has four rubber pad mutes built into the bridge (I always kept mine screwed down and out of the way).

Pre-EB body is a non-contoured slab. Digs into the breastbone a little. That's the reason I contoured mine when I refinished it. Probably cut its value in half (for others, that is - it was more valuable to me after I did it).

Pre-EB truss rod is adjusted from the headstock end.

Grommet-thingy that holds down the A and D strings just beyond the nut on the headstock held down the the D and G strings on the pre-EB.

Pre-EB had lacquer finish on the neck (which I promptly took off with finish remover. Sanded it down baby's butt smooth and applied a very light coat of lemon oil).

That's about all I can think of.
  6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks Ray-man.

Your pre EB description fits it to a T. This one is in fantastic condition, no noticable dings, no buckle-rash, the neck looked good. The only thing I saw was the frets had a little oxidation.

I didn't notice the non-contoured body though. Thats one major improvement thats has been hade since. I have an '83 G&L L2000 and I love that feature. I don't notice it too much when standing, but it very comfortable when sitting down with it.

I gotta think hard about this one...I'm trying to control my impusive gear puchases. :meh:
  7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    My advice to you: If you are looking for a primary axe, your money is better spent on a new one. If you are looking to make an investment, I don't see pre-EB SR's going anywhere but up in value.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 1980 SR. But my new one has all the features I liked about the old one plus a couple extras. And it plays just as nicely. Some people will say that the pre-EB has a punchier sound, but my ear's not that good.
  8. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1. FWIW, I paid about $800-900 for a sweet, minty fretless MM one about 18 years ago. Unless your into collecting, or you are absolutely floored by the tone of that particular axe, IMO the choices that are available to you in this price range are just too great and you would be limiting yourself unecessarily. When I bought that fretless MM, I didn't even know what I was buying--in those days, I was not such a gearhead and bought whatever sounded good that I could afford. One upside/caveat: I was able to sell it for a bit more than I paid for it years later. Good luck.
  9. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

I'd say $1k tops. For any more than that you can get a new one!
    I guess if it's very special it could be worth more, but there's a couple (new)Stingrays at my local shop that SMOKE and are quite lookers too.
  10. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    We have one for 1100 and some change at the local Samash, it's a 77 in purty condition, now if only i could get used to the one pickup concept :p
  11. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    The one pickup concept is easier for me - StingRays are all I've ever owned. In my mind, simpler is better. Some of those switches are too much for me to try to remember.

Color me stupid. :D
  12. Hey.

My dad and I have a '79 Stingray in good condition, not mint, and we brought it to his friend who owns a vintage music store in Oakville, CT to see what he thought it was worth. Off the top of his head, he said it could be worth up to $1800 considering it is all original and even has the original hard shell case.

A collector came through the store, and said he wasn't very sure what it was worth, but he said definately over $1000.

So in the range of $1000-$1800? Sorry I can't be more specific.

Please post a more accurate price of what these basses are worth if you find one, I am very interested also!
  13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    FWIW, theres a 77/78 Stingray in the classified forum for $1850.
    Which is the bass I was looking at, except with a white pickguard.

So I guess that is the right price range. I've been thinking about it alot, and I've decided to pass on it. I'd rather buy a used newer model for under 1G.

Maybe I'll pick up one of the new 2 humbucker designs instead. :D