1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reasonable price for a WT-400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stachio, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    How much should I be willing to pay for a like-new WT-400 ?
    I found one for $700 which I may be able to dicker down a little bit.
    Also, is the only difference between a 300 and a 400 the wattage ? If so, would it perhaps be cheaper to buy a 300 for $500-ish and get Eden to boost the output ?

Too many questions:)

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    $700 may be too much for a WT-400 that's been used at all. I think Bassnw sells them new for $850. I've seen WT-400's posted for as little as $400, but they usually go for $500 to $600. I'd say hold out until you find one for $500 or less, or try to buy a WT-300 for $400. I'm not sure how much they cost to upgrade.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    When I checked a few months ago, the full WT-300 to WT-400 upgrade was $300, so I don't think that it'd be worth it.

Besides the 100 watts, the 400 has a defeatable compressor and a pad for the input. You can get around the 300's compressor just by using less input gain.

You should be able to find a 300 for between $350 and $450...you'll have to decide if the 100 extra watts is worth it.

There are some other stealth upgrades in the 400 that may not appear in all revisions of the 300. I did have my 300 upgraded for lower noise specs, which cost about $100.

Let me know if you have questions.

Dan

4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks guys,

Dan : I forgot about the defeatable compressor. I figured the 400 watts was a good idea to drive a 210 XLT and a 115 XL, possibly even a 410 XLT eventually, and cut through a loud drummer in small to medium sized gigs. Sort of hard to test in a store.
    AAAAH, decisions:)
    Any more suggestions/advice is welcome.

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used a WT-300 and a 410XLT for about 5 gigs, (Before the Rig of Doom came...) and I never had any problems being heard, and I was only using an 8ohm load. I don't think you'll have any problems with the WT-400 at all (Incidentally, I might be getting rid of my WT-300, if I could ever test out some pre-amps...)

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I probably would have bought a WT400 if one had been around at the time,but I found a 300 for cheap and have done lots of gigs with it powering an Eden 210xlt and a Bag End,or even once just the Bag End 15 by itself,and it has worked well for me,even playing 5 string.Personally,I like the sound of the compressor so I don't mind not being able to bypass it,but that's just me.I've seen WT400's on ebay for $450-500 so a little patience may be rewarded there.