Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reasonable prices in NYC?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BGreaney, Jan 25, 2006.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, I was wondering if anyone knows anyplace in NYC where I could find strings at a reasonable price. If not I'll just go through Lemur, but I was hoping to get my strings changed by the weekend. Thanks in advance.

2. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Ideal Music, they are in the 20's by 7th or 8th. I'm sure they're in the phone book.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ideal Musical Merchandise
    150 W. 22nd St.
    Suite 200
    New York, NY 10010
    (212) 675-5050

They keep hours that make bankers jealous, so plan on getting there in the middle of the day.

4. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Usually a good idea to call Ideal before you go over, just to be sure the old lady isn't on vacation or something.

It's the ONLY place worth buying bass strings at in NYC.

If you can wait, then quinnviolins.com is usually at or below Lemur prices.

5. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Haha yea, my problem with trying to get in touch with Ideal was that I wasn't aware of their hours. I guess I was just calling at the wrong times. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

6. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Hey Reuben thanks for the suggestion to go to quinnviolins.com. I ended up saving $20 on my set. Now I'll go see if the lovely little lady at Ideal can give me the same price.

I actually just checked out southwest strings (http://www.swstrings.com/) and they were even cheaper than Quinn...

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    She matched the price on anima's that i got through quinn when I brought in the printout.

8. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Yea i actually just called her, and she told me the price at southwest was a very good price and I should take it. It's nice that she was so honest and wasn't just trying to get me into the store.

9. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow, that's surprising. Is that also factoring in that Quinn won't charge you for shipping?

Usually, though not always, when I've found a better price than Quinn's it's also come with a shipping charge that brings it up over the Quinn price.

Anyway, yes, the dear lady at Ideal is shrewd, but but no BS'er. She will never jive you.

10. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    The, lady is sweet, but firm. She didn't budge when I showed her 3 different print outs, even with my 4 year old being his most charming self...