Reasonable small practise amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a small (25w or so) practise amp for late-night noodlings with my drummer & his practise kit.

What's an amp that's not expensive but doesn't sound too much like arse? I was thinking maybe a Marshall or Peavey microbass, maybe even a nasty cheap Samick.

Any suggestions?
  2. Seconded.

Although with any 20-30 watt amp, Your drummer can't play at full volume or you won't hear yourself.
  3. This is just to play along with his practise-pad kit (not a full kit)...i'm just used to bigger nastier amps so I wanna find something that won't p!$$ me off too much tone-wise! :)
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have been really surprised by the Crate BX25. 25 watts, 1x10. Somewhere around $200-$250.
  5. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    how about a used ibanez bt10 that doesn't work?

i have it on sale

PM me if you're interested
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Peavey MicroBass Got mine new less then 6 months ago for $89 USD

Farts nice if you push it... but it can keep up with a couple of acoustics and some drum pads
  7. Hmmm...shipping to New Zealand might make it cheaper to buy a new Aguilar rig... ;) Thanx anyway!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For ultra low budget, the Peavey Microbass is unbeatable.

For $250, the Fender Bassman 25 blows away a lot of amps that claim twice the power and cost $100 more.

I've used a Bassman 25 at small gigs accompanying piano, organ, drums and non-distorted guitar. And had no problems being heard. And it handle the low B very well, too.
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    What he said... I have a Microbass and it is a great bedroom amp... Sits nice with an acoustic, good tone. I just played through a Bassman 25, and wow~! Maybe when I get back from Nawlins...