Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reasonable small practise amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a small (25w or so) practise amp for late-night noodlings with my drummer & his practise kit.

What's an amp that's not expensive but doesn't sound too much like arse? I was thinking maybe a Marshall or Peavey microbass, maybe even a nasty cheap Samick.

Any suggestions?

2. PEAVEY MICROBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Seconded.

Although with any 20-30 watt amp, Your drummer can't play at full volume or you won't hear yourself.

4. This is just to play along with his practise-pad kit (not a full kit)...i'm just used to bigger nastier amps so I wanna find something that won't p!$$ me off too much tone-wise! :)

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have been really surprised by the Crate BX25. 25 watts, 1x10. Somewhere around $200-$250.

6. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    how about a used ibanez bt10 that doesn't work?

i have it on sale

PM me if you're interested

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Peavey MicroBass Got mine new less then 6 months ago for $89 USD

Farts nice if you push it... but it can keep up with a couple of acoustics and some drum pads

8. Hmmm...shipping to New Zealand might make it cheaper to buy a new Aguilar rig... ;) Thanx anyway!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For ultra low budget, the Peavey Microbass is unbeatable.

For $250, the Fender Bassman 25 blows away a lot of amps that claim twice the power and cost $100 more.

I've used a Bassman 25 at small gigs accompanying piano, organ, drums and non-distorted guitar. And had no problems being heard. And it handle the low B very well, too.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    What he said... I have a Microbass and it is a great bedroom amp... Sits nice with an acoustic, good tone. I just played through a Bassman 25, and wow~! Maybe when I get back from Nawlins...

-robert