Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reasonably priced 5 string 35" scale bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daddyo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    Any thoughts? I'd like 2 pickups. Bolt on or neck through. Looks are not that important. Some options. MTD Kingston Heir. Ibanez BTB 405. Lakland Skyline 55 series. I notice that on of the Brice 6 string has a 35" scale but I don't need 6 strings. I know a 35" scale limits my options but I'm told the B will be mushky amd floopy with a 34" scale. Any thoughts?

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Lakland 55-02 if you can afford it.Or look into a G&L bass.

3. Depending on the quality of the bass, it won't matter what scale it is. There are some awesome 34" scale fivers that have killer B strings. As far as what one to get..

If you're going with those basses to decide I'd throw them in this order of best not best:

Lakland
    MTD
    Ibanez
    Brice

Just my opinion of course and I only have experience with the Ibanez (once I sell my current bass I'm getting one of the 405s) so I can only sit here and tell you that it's an amazing bass for the price.

4. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Keywords: Value and Cost.

MTD and then Lakland. :)

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Say it with me...
    S-P-E-C-T-O-R

Ray :D

6. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I would say the Cort/Elrick Josh Paul Sig. 35' scale, tight B, and zero fret. Very nice bass for the money and very versatile soundwise. ;)

7. Find someone who will price match a spector rebop 5 string if you want to play it first or just get it off of musiciansfriend.com. Theyre on clearance 699, regular ~900. I got the 4 string when the put it on clearance for 499 last year. Its been a great bass.

SPECTOR RULES!!!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The MTD or one of the Lakland Skyline models will do very nicely.

I have a D55-01 and it is a great bass, with lots of tonal variety. Very good B string, nice neck, and most important to me, 3/4" string spacing at the bridge.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Seriously look into the Peavey Cirrus! Do a search on them here on TB and you'll find tons of fantastic comments.
    Don't let the Peavey name put you off. The Cirrus line is absolutely fantastic for the money.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, if you are looking to spend over $1000, the Cirrus gets my vote too.

Or, if you don't mind buying used, you can get a Cirrus for $700 - $900.

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I recently bought a Shecter California custom 5 string and it's one awesome Bass It's become my primary Bass. You can get one for only $499.00. Best $500.00 I've spent on a Bass.
    [​IMG]

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you can find a Peavey USA Millennium Five used, you can get a pro-level intrument at a beginner bass price, say $400. Even new, they can be had for under $800.