1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reasonably priced 5 string flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RH434, Mar 31, 2009.

1. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    Hi all,

I've searched and read about every post I could find and scoured a couple of online string companies websites. I'm looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for a set of flats for a 5 string. Nickel or Stainless, preferably a set like .50 - .130 or so. This is for my Hartke 34" 5 string with soapbar pups. Looking to experiment with new sounds, and perhaps get rid of the floppy B string at the same time.

I was looking at Labellas Deep Talking Flats, but at $55 for a set, it's hard to swallow at the moment just to experiment. Can anyone suggest a better deal? :help:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check out Carvin brand strings at www.carvin.com - they are OEMed by LaBella, I've had good experience with them.

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Try D'Aderio Chrome Flats

4. D'Addario Chromes are about 35 bucks shipped at theperfectbass.com if you use the TalkBass discount.

5. The guy at www.webstrings.com just told me that they will be carrying 5 string sets of their flats in the next few weeks. Currently they only have 4 string sets. ($16/set)

I use their nickle roundwound strings, they sound good and are a great deal at $14 for a 5 string set.

But for that price I'll try a set of the flats when they come out.

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    This would be my suggestion as well.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  8. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    D'A Chrome Flats are $39.99 at www.musiciansfriend.com. That's what I'm using and I like them just fine. Having been a rounds player for 30 years, these are my first set of flats so I don't have any words of wisdom as afar as tone comparisons between flats goes, but I do like the chromes...

9. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    Thanks everyone, that's some great info in all of the replies. I really appreciate it.

I will place an order and see how the flats work for me.