Reasonably priced 5 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pelvicfury, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced 5 string? I'm looking for something under $700 that is built well, and has good electronics. Also, is there any disadvantage to owning a neck-thru bass?
  2. Reasonably priced 5's yeah lots of them. Neck thru is great, but you lose some of the sub-harmonics(I think that is what they called) . I never noticed until it was pointed out to me, even then it was very hard to notice. Usually neck-thru basses are more expensive.

BTW back to the point here. Cort curbow 5 is less than $700, Dean Edge Q is way less than $700. Washburn and Fernandes make some in less than that range. You have to look around a bit, but make sure you play the thing before you buy it.

My drummer has one of these, (Washburn) I had to use it one night at practice when I first got my fretless, I thought I could pull it off with just the fretless, the band quickly handed this to me.It sounded great.

Where in PA are you, I am in Northeast.
  3. Here are some of the better choices in that price range that I would suggest...

Dean Edge Select 5, about $620 "out the door"

ESP LTD C-305, about $670 "out the door"

Fernandes Gravity 5 deluxe, about $680 "out the door"

The Dean and ESP are 35" scale, the Fernandes is 34" scale.
    With the active dual EMG DC-40 pickups, the Fernandes has the best electronics of the 3 basses.
  4. I would have to say that this is the best bet.

Schecter Stiletto Elite
    Quilted Maple
    Mahogany Body
    Emg Hz Pickups
    Active EQ
    Maple Neck Rosewood Finger board
    35 Inch Scale
    *neck through

Price- Around $550

I have had one for about 6 months (bought after testing around 30 5 strings, and this blew them all away) I think you can get them at

Good Luck:)
  5. Gallucci's Music in Scranton, PA has ESP, Dean, and Fernandes. I don't know where you are in PA, but they are pretty cool down there. The bass player and guitarist from this band owns Gallucci's, they are regular guys, not salesmen.

BTW this is not an add, I am not incorporated with them in any way, they are just friends with a kick-butt music shop and a kick-butt band.
  6. aka PUNK&DONUTS

aka PUNK&DONUTS Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    On the above mentioned ESP LTD I found that the B was a touch to slinky but that may well be me so your best bet is to get out and try before you buy as many as possible something I did and well I came home with a four so I'm probably biased. The Ibanez could be a good option though as I found them to be very nice playing due to the sleek necks they have and the B was not to shabby.
  7. Sounds like a perfect candidate for the Lakland Skyline 55-01!
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Look in the used market. I'd think your bound to get a better deal on a higher quality bass.
  9. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I think the new Lakland Skyline 55-01s are around that price. They rock!!! Best foreign-made bass I've ever played.
  10. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    defenitly look used. ive heard wonderful things about the lakland skyline, im sure that would be great. also the ibanez BTB impresses me as a good buy. very nice electronics and a good build quality. another brand that is built like a tank is carvin. neck through is defenitly not a bad thing. i have it on my carvin and prefer it greatly. it has more sustain, and my carvin is much more defnined than my ibanezes (though that may be the nature of the electronics too) it makes it much easier to play in the upper register, and plus it just looks cool on the back of the bass. IMO the carvins are a bargain as far as build quality goes. (USA made, great attention to detail, very though, fairly lightweight, and very confortable to play. ive never felt a lower action on a bass.) if you must look new id say look into a carvin or a skyline, a BTB, fernandes, or an MTD kingston/heir. these are all very well built basses. (skyline prob. has the best electronics) otherwise look at the used market, as theres a lot to be had in your price range. good luck!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston/Heir. Best basses under a grand, hands down.

Embellisher, and a lot of other guys will swear that too. There's a reason. Good stuff!

I might be a wee biased. :D
  12. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    check out a spector ns2000/5 (neck thru) - you can get one at for under 700. great bass, especially for the price.

you might be able to come close on a warwick streamer also....
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Welcome to TalkBass.

Take a look at used Basses too.A few years ago,I found a MIA Fender Jazz five string for $550 with a hardshell case.

Theres alot of good deals out there.Play as many different Basses as you can before you buy one.

Good luck:cool: