Reasonably priced 6- or 7-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Apr 4, 2002.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi guys,
    I thought a forum moderated by John Turner would be the perfect place to leave this question... :)

Are there any reasonably priced 6- or 7-string basses around that are worth it? I currently play a MTD Grendel 5-string that I used to tune EADGC, but I dropped back to the "ordinary" tuning for a few gigs, and now I'll miss the B if I go back... so I figured a 6- or 7-string is what I *need*. However, going on low budgets (and hoping to avoid selling my MTD), which would be in the $500-$800 price range.

Any opinions?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. You could pick up a used Conklin GrooveTools & string for around that.
  4. Groove Tools...also, a used Carvin LB76 with all the trimmings (multilaminate neck, block inlays, etc.) can be had for around that price.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    the only 7-string bass i've played on is a GT-7... it is a sweet bass. I could have taken it home for $600.. but i didn't.. i don't have any use for that many strings.. but you should give them a look.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, there ya have it :D.

you could also consider the john myung sig yamaha 6. while i'm not a big fan of those basses, you might dig it, and it matches your price concerns.
  7. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks a lot! I just saw a Conklin GT7 on eBay that goes at about $700, so I'd might consider that. Unfortunately there are noone importing them to Norway, so I would have to "blind-buy" one, and then take my chances... Time will show. Think I'll keep an eye on eBay for a while and see. Will also have to work on my significant other, as she's got totally different plans for that little pile of money...
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on...the groove tool basses are outstanding basses for the money. and the used market is an excellent place to get a good bass for not a whole lot of cash.
  9. You might find a used Peavey Cirrus 6 at or slightly above the high end of that range.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I am pretty sure the Dude is selling a Carvin 6 string neck through for $499 over at

These are good basses, and for that price, it's a great bass.
  11. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can get an Ibanez 6 string soundgear for $515 (at least that's how much it was at the music store near my home). Their 6 strings are decent, and the low B has fine tone. :p
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Much better than a Soundgear 6 and around the same price is the Ibanez BTB406. 35" scale, thunderous B string, 3 band preamp, wide, thin neck, and a good value.
  13. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    The BTB is one of the basses I would consider (for a 6-string, that is). Haven't been able to lay my hands on one, yet, but will definately check them out when I get a chance to. Haven't been much of an Ibanez-fan over the years, but the BTB has caught my interest.