1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reasonably Priced and Gig Worthy.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZeroSymbolic, Jul 11, 2012.

1. I am looking at the prospect of finally having the money to put into something more respectable than my little starter amp.

I want something that will sound decent and fill a typical small time gig. Bars and Pubs, that kind of venue.

So what's the most intelligent way to go about this? Suggested equipment, ect.

Thank you in advance.

2. If weight isn't an issue it's hard to beat the used SWR stuff like a SM400. 400 Watt pro level gear in the $250-$350 range. As for cabs, Peavey, is a good bang for the buck that will get some serious volume.

Also, if you enjoy a more vintage tone IMO the Ampeg PF350 and PF500 are modern day bargins.

3. What kind of music do you play? How much do you wish to spend? Those 2 key questions must be answered before anyone can give specific suggestions.

4. Mackluth

Mackluth

Jun 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll give my .02 and then let more knowledgeable tb'ers correct me/fill in the rest.

The best idea is to play as many different amps as you can to see what you like(although, I have bought all my gear used/site-unseen so I'm not a very good preacher on that subject), and then determine which of those fits into your needs. Buy used if you can.

I'm running an Eden WT300 (Around $300) into an SWR bigfoot 2x12 cabinet ($200-400). I really dig that sound, but it might not be for you. Around 100 watts IME, will give you enough power to manage at band practice (I had an Ampeg BA115 that I had to run near top out to manage in a band practice). Around 300 watts will give you enough headroom to easily manage with a 5 piece rockband. Even with a 100 watt amp, you can manage most decent sized venues as long as it has DI outs so they can run your Bass through the PA. I feel more comfortable with more power than I need personally, but budget constraints can dictate what is important.

Hopefully I've sent some of the info. you're asking for your way, and as I said, I'm not one of the guys on here with a ton of mileage behind me to trust as an end all be all. Just somebody who has gone through upgrading my gear recently and spent a lot of time looking through TB in the meantime.

Hey you're in GR too, nice!

5. Hey its a GRap party!

I would suggest 300-500 watt head into a 410. Shop used to get more for your money. Tone will be subjective, so as has been mentioned go and play some stuff. I know our local gc sucks the big one as far as bass gear, but it is out there.

6. Id be willing to drop whatever it takes. I play a bit of everything. The big thing to me is having enough volume to handle a venue.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1 on buying used.

If you need new look at Avatar Bass Cabs. Good bang for the buck. 410 is always a good way to go. GK makes some nice head in the 500 watt range.

8. PM me if you want to play a fEARful.

9. +1 on used gear as well. I picked up my Ampeg 410he for 300 bucks. not a bad deal

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I picked up a used SWR Workingman's 15 a couple of years ago for $250...at GC of all places....just to have a smaller rig. It's turned out to be a real work horse of an amp.

11. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    My .02 is to get something that's easy to move and able to be heard over a full band practice. There's been a bit of bashing on them lately on here. but I've got a GK MB212, one of the ultra-lite combos, 500 watts into 2-12's, and it's been great to me. It's got plenty of headroom. In fact, I've never had it up over 50%. The DI out is great for bigger venus where almost no matter what you're going to have PA support. Loud enough to act as stage monitor for myself and the band. I highly recommend them. I think if I were going starting over, I'd probably get the 2x10 which you can add another 2x10 for an extension cab. YMMV. There are a lot of really good lightweight amps out there right now, and that's my suggestion unless you're a hardcore tube amp guy.

12. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I wont suggest a particular make or model, but heres a good strategy for piecing together a good starter rig:

Get a head with ample headroom for the situation you'll be doing.

Start with an 8-ohm cab of your liking,( i.e., 2x10, 4x10, 2x12, 1x15, etc...)

In the future, when the need for more volume arises (and it will,,trust me), you simply add an identical cab which now makes the head see a 4-ohm load.

Instant volume, without cranking the gain or volume knobs on your amp!! :cool:

13. Mokebass

Mokebass

Sep 19, 2011
    Just get a used markbass II or III and a decent cab with casters.

14. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Consider used gear, particularly from the TB classifieds. As for brands that are heavily gigged and reasonably priced, my favorites among the most popular are Markbass, Genz Benz, Gallien-Krueger. Do a little research into the reliability of particular models once you narrow down a feature set that works for you. There are many others that are excellent for the price, but I don't have experience with all of them.

15. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1
    with one further suggestion: I would go 500+ watts and consider two 210 cabs (or two 1x12") -take one to the coffee house gigs and two to bigger venues.

The 500+ watt suggestion is because it is always preferable to have a little extra headroom, just in case. Happy hunting!

16. The reason I suggest a 410, is that older heavier 8 Ohm 410's are cheap and readily available.

17. exactly what I'm doing. if I ever am in need just a quick run down to the local shop and bam, I'm running 810 instead of 410. ahhhhh one can dream lol

18. Then you need the Warwick Helborg amp and cabs!!!!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well that'll certainly be one of the more expensive routes ;)

But picking out an amp for you is like picking out a girlfriend for you...who wants the internet to do that for you? Go play a bunch of rigs and see what you think, and trust your own judgment.

20. Play as many as you can, what I like may not be for you. Hopefully, you're in an area where alot of brands are available. If you find one you really like then you can shop around for the best deal. In most situations, you'd be better off having us pick a girlfriend for you than an amp.