Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reasonably priced head to go with ampeg cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Apr 28, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i Bought an Ampeg STV410HLF cab yesterday!... Now, all i need is a head....... the cab is rated at 1000 watt program, and 500 watts continuous at 4 ohms.... i need a reasonably priced head (no more than about $600).... i currently have a Peavey TNT 155S combo... i really like it but needed more volume....... i am really considering a Peavey Firebass 700 head (700W@2 ohm, 475W@4 ohm).... i have heard this head used before and like the volume and headroom it gives..... i also like the features it has on it......... i will probably add a graphic eq pedal or rack effects unit somewhere down the road but for now the 3-band eq, mid-shift, and contour knobs will do......

ANY input on problems, dislikes, likes, and MAJOR input on reliability will be very VERY helpful...

THanks so much,
    -Evan

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wel, if you want something that'll rock some SERIOUS booty for less than $600, I'd recomend a Sansamp Bass Driver DI (BDDI) It's an excellent pre-amp for about $170 (at BassNW.com) and a Carvin(.com) Poweramp, probably the DCM600 (600 watts at 4 ohms) for $319

Which comes to about 500 even, and then with shipping, maybe $550. Under budget, and will STILL kick enough butt in any situation. I think that setup would be a little slice o/ heaven!

The BDDI is in pedal form, but, you just set it on top of the amp, or even on the floor, and you don't have to worry about it. Tons of people will attest to the SansAmp BDDI. It's reliable, good, and gives you a VERY nice sound.