1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reasons for endorsing a company?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Jun 21, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Recently, a drummer I know got into an agreement in which he would endorse a particular manufacturer of cymbals from outside of the US. I'm sure he will receive discounted/free stuff. He's not a bigtime professional player, though he is a talented and humble drummer for a well-received covers band in a town of 300,000.

I've played G&L for nigh on three years and have fallen hopelessly in love with my pawn shop special L-2000. I have not purchased any instruments since 2016.

To me, entering an endorsement deal with G&L would be fantastic. I would happily make videos and promote their product. In fact, this bass of mine is on social media and even made it on television.

I'm not important enough to be paid cash, nor do I have expectations of free stuff. I am not in huge touring bands, but I do find work around town somewhat regularly. So, what would make endorsing a company* worth it? For them, there's no real compelling reason to go for it. But pretend they did -- why go for it?

*It should be mentioned. I have no expectation of G&L or any other manufacturer picking up a nobody in Alaska, so this thread is really all fantasy/curiosity.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Send them an email and ask what requirements they seek for such agreenents.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  3. Just scream out the company's name as the answer to any question and hope they notice you.
    And never think of the fact that you are actually turning people off to that company because of your behavior, but it is all about you so who cares.

birminghambass likes this.
  4. Social media is such a big thing with this sort of stuff now. As much as companies companies the big touring acts on board, they also need bloggers, Facebook & Instagram followers. If you can create interesting material across all of those platforms then it can work.

A buddy of mine is a freeride snowboarder. He does a lot of the amateur competitions. He writes multiple blog, instagrams throughout the year of his adventures and has picked up multiple sponsors - all his gear is replaced for free or at 'athlete discount'. This model does work!

Look at Davy406 on Youtube and Scott from ScottsBassLessons - I they have picked up a handful of freebies along the way!

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  5. Firstly, it is the manufacturer endorsing the artist, not the other way around. Most companies have an application for endorsement deals, and depending on your answers you may get free gear, heavily discounted gear, or minimally discounted gear—all dependent on the perceived impact your presence will have on their market.

6. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I received an endorsement deal with a smaller manufacturer last year after speaking to the owner and the artist liaison fellow, sending them some info, and explaining why I was interested in working with them. They were great to work with, and I have used their bass almost exclusively since.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It’s worked for some on TB... ;)

Gluvhand likes this.
  8. I enjoy watching it happen in real time. The motivation is very obvious and very funny.

Badwater likes this.
  9. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    You know, it's interesting because nearly every single search result says it's the other way around... :smug:

Additionally, as defined by businessdictionary.com, a product endorsement is:

"A written or public statement by a celebrity, business or professional group extolling the virtues of a product and recommending the use of the product to the public. A product endorsement from an authoritative figure is a key element in business advertising and marketing campaigns."

Neat!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  10. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Inactive

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    IMG_0132.GIF

BtaylorTheRogue likes this.
  11. I looked it up, and dang if you ain’t right. I’m disappointed to learn I’ve had it backward this whole time.

Passinwind likes this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    How effective are product endorsements from relative nobodies?

13. Endorsement deals have different levels some have compensation and cache and others have diddly squat. It all depends if you bring something to the advertising table.
    For a brief flash in the pan in the eighties I had a few endorsement deals that were arranged through a management deal. I got no money but got free strings (GHS Bassics), touring support from Peavey amplifiers and a loaner bass from Carvin. For that I appeared in several adverts usually along with other players photos taken at NAMM. I recall hearing about the ads from my manager but never saw any of them as I was on the road.

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well honestly getting a discount helps. People seem to think that oh you're endorsed...means get it for free....but that is only 5-10% of the top artist. What it does give me is 50-60% off. So on the other part of your statement...I use and endorse a few companies because the product is great and it helps me to sound or play better. So it is at times much cheaper to endorse an artist that plays a lot and put their name out there than to pay outrageous fees for other types of media.

design likes this.
  15. wmhill

wmhill Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I have several endorsements (MTD basses, Bartolini pickups and Tecamp bass amps). For me these were products that I used and believed in before any endorsements. It is a discount thing, very little freebies. A nice perk is dibs on discounted B-stock and discontinued items. I in turn sing the praises of the products, add their logos to our fliers and such. I have had quite a few people ask for some input on the products, and I know I have been instrumental in generating some sales. Probably more important is getting the name out there for people to see, and generate some buzz. The biggest aspect of this is through social media, memes, posters, tagging etc. I do get a small bio on their website and that looks good on the resume' or at least bragging right. I have had this affiliation for about 5 years and I think it has been mutually beneficial.

Bio DBG.png

Badwater and TheBear like this.
  16. Our drummer has had some decent deals. Some bigger than others. Usually he just gets a discount on gear. Some of them like when he was with Dark horse percussion he paid half of what it cost them to make a custom acrylic kit. Others were some free cheaper items like sticks. He’s really into the SJC guys though who were originally with OCDP before they sold the brand to Guitar center. He’s had a dozen or so different kits since being in the band an most of them have been SJC or older custom OCDP. Only exceptions were a Truth kit and the Dark horse kit. He’s even owned OCDP kits built for Travis Barker of Blink 182 and currently owns a Kit they built for John Otto from Limp Bizkit. All kits they had in storage after the artist were done with the tour they used them on. And he occasionally gets a comment here and there like Travis from Blink wishing him happy birthday on instagram.

Our guitarist and I have looked into it a little bit but usually end up seeing that they require you to play more than 100 gigs a year. Which we don’t. The two brands id love to endorse are Dingwall basses and Darkglass electronics. But At some point I’ve owned pretty much every pedal Darkglass makes, at least one from each range anyways. The one thing I’d be super grateful if Dingwall could help me out with is like a set of free strings once a month. I dig their nickel wound strings. Either way I’m a nobody compared to some of the big boys playing those brands so that’s a pipe dream.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Usually not great. However, there are relative nobodies who score occasional deals if they can see that sales are happening from the player using their stuff. I got a couple deals that way through no fault of my own :D Wasn't even looking for them and bam! But at our levels, you get mostly discounts and not many freebies, although you might get a couple if sales from your help are good. Greatly helps to get their attention if the player has a track record of pro level work or regional notoriety at least, too. Like me for instance...If I was just a Talkbass yenta, or if I only played in a band that backs large oldies shows all over the country, I don't think I'd have ever been offered a deal with anyone. But fortunately I'm a Talkbass yenta who backs large oldies shows all over the country. And I'm a sincere fan of the gear I endorse. Nobody wants endorsements from players who try to collect them like Pokemons, although they'll make an exception if you're pretty famous/

twinjet and kobass like this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve had experience in two different fields with manufacturer endorsement deals, neither music related, but both worked essentially the same way so there may be some help for you. You are advertising for the company and the deal is related to your draw, in the things i was involved in the standard was 40%, 80%, full ride, and paid sponsorship. These were discounts based on MSRP for their products so the 40% was not a lot better than buying at street price but it carried the cache of being a “factory guy”. Since both things were competiton related i was expected to show up to a certain number of events, help users of the product, make a good showing, winning or placing was good but not required, a good product ambassador was as essential as race/event reports. Attaboys from random strangers to the home office were gold, and job security. The further up the food chain you moved the more you became the property of the company. At the top, products carried your sig and personal endorsement and you had to win more than not, or you didn’t last. Some pros went into sales or design when they lost the bubble but a lot just faded away.
    Just one ham and eggers opinion, but if you love your bass and enjoy your freedom, leave the wheeling and dealing to the wheelers and dealers.

twinjet likes this.
  19. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for your kindness, but I am not a "relative" nobody. I am a nobody. ;)

To address the question, all it takes is a well-done video, a good demo and some marketing smarts. No demo started out with a million views. Given these three qualities, an endorsement by a somebody could reach quite a few people. Maybe even an actual somebody.

fhm555 likes this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    But the good part is you have room to rise. :D
    This has been bugging me since i posted the other day. I was speaking from the prospective of a hobbyist looking to offset some of the cost of my pastime. If music is your life, the more aspects of your life that are about music the more opportunities you have to earn while doing something you love, so from that POV going after endorsements might be worth looking in to. They certainly imerse you into both the supply and demand side of retail and you become part of that industry network almost overnight.

twinjet likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020