Reasons for preferring 45-65-80-105 over 45-65-85-105?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ricky Rioli, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I knew I wanted to try Rotosound Swing Bass 66s

I knew with other brands I've liked 45 65 85 105, but I saw that Rotosound's original standard set was 45 65 80 105. I figured they must have had a reason for preferring that thinner A string, so I went for that traditional set

I've found though that I feel the A string is to be missing the bite that the other 3 strings have: it's a much simpler, more bassy sound, and I find it hard to keep the tone consistent when going from the A to the D.

This is just my opinion, though, and I'm kind of tired of it whining away, and would like to hear someone explaining how they perceive that thinner A string to be a real benefit. Please, thank you :smug:

ahbradot likes this.
  2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Maybe, it's because the tension of 80 is closer to 45 and 105. Although, for completely balanced tension, some of us prefer a customized set of 45 60 80 105. Just my 2¢ :whistle:

NoiseNinja, smogg, bdplaid and 3 others like this.
  3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Possibly the lighter gauge was seen as somewhat lessening breakage potential on what is generally the most-played string? I know when I was playing in a 16th-note downstroke band switching to RS’s medium-light Swing Bass saved me from having to take 3 basses to every gig.

Riff Ranger and Ricky Rioli like this.
  4. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Oz
    I was searching this yesterday to decide on which roto set to buy. Apparently the 80 is close to the same tension as the 105 whereas the 85 is the same as the 65 in tension. I guess it depends if you want an A string that feels closer to the E or one that feels more like the D and G. For slapping, I would imagine the A and E being close in feel would be ideal whereas if you play melodic lines up the neck maybe the higher tension and more even feel of the A,D,G would be beneficial.

Rotosound Swing Bass - RS66LD vs LF?

Ricky Rioli and Aidil like this.
  5. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I had read that explanation, but here are the numbers

45 - 65 - [80 / 85] - 105

48.27 - 51.30 - [43.80 / 46.80] - 38.60

MHensleyJr, dkelley and Spyrosaab like this.
  6. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Ah thank you. I know literally nothing about slapping so this was the news I needed :)

7. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Not being a Rotosounds fan, it never crossed my mind. The gauges in my preferred set of D’addarios works perfectly for me.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  8. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    More education, thank you! :D

9. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I've had Daddarios before - started on 45 65 80 100, was much happier on 45 65 85 105. You would have thought that would have taught me a lesson, eh? :laugh:

Geri O likes this.
  10. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I have a set of Chromes with those gauges and yes its marvellous. And in the UK it cost me the equivalent of $80 to assemble it from single strings.... :dead:

Artorious Rex and Aidil like this.
  11. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    IDK the ‘answer’ - but just picked up 2 sets… the NPS ‘Standard’ set is 0.085 - SS requires ‘Custom’ for 0.085… I use *them* because I’m a ‘hard player’ & need the extra tension / girth, etc!

D87AB0ED-EEC0-481A-91EB-08053CBAE653.jpeg

Spidey2112 and Ricky Rioli like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As it is in football, it's a game of thousandths of an inch.

13. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    The cross section of an 085 is 13% larger than that of an 080. Go 13% of the way down a football pitch and its first down.

lermgalieu and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    You guys are always wanting basses that weigh less than 7 pounds. A lighter gauge A string would certainly help.

MartinB, trothwell, randini and 13 others like this.
  15. Same here...

Started out with 45-65-80-100, went to 45-65-85-105, then eventually settled on 45-60-80-105. For me, it was the 65D vs. 60D that made a bigger difference than the 85A vs. 80A. Just can't stand a D that's tighter than the rest!

16. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    My ideal is all four strings so tight that I just have to look at them and they start singing out :woot:

Engle likes this.
  17. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    :laugh::laugh::D :cool:

JRA likes this.
  18. Interestingly enough, when Marcus Miller used to endorse DR Fat Beams, his signature set was 45-65-80-105.

DR FB MM.jpeg

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  19. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    String Tension. Listen, they are only strings. Just experiment and find what you like. I enjoy balanced tension strings. They work for me.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    What makes you think that this isn't exactly what's going on? I experimented, I didn't like it, I'll be moving on. Is being curious what other people might like about what I've just not liked going to kill me? o_O

JimmyM, Riff Ranger and Killing Floor like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021