Reasons Why It's Better Not To Grossly Overstuff Your Board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    1. You can step on your pedals easier and more accurately.

2. Neater wiring, which is less fatiguing on cables and jacks, which saves you some bank.

3. If you need to swap out pedals for different setups, it's a lot easier if you give yourself some room.

4. Keeps pedals from falling off your board during setups and teardowns, which makes you look like a rube who brought so many pedals that you don't know what to do with them.

5. The Miku Stomp is a fun pedal for about 5 seconds, but no matter how you try to convince yourself that everyone loves it, they're all pretty damn sick of it.

6. Those empty spaces on your board aren't really mocking you. You only think they are. Really, it's true. Those are your own voices in your own head mentally tormenting you, screaming at you to fill the hole on your board as a substitute for the hole in your soul, which can never be filled.

7. The pedals that you cut from your board don't jump off the shelves in the middle of the night and murder you. That was just one of those whacked out dreams you get from taking too much Ambien. I think.

My team of psychiatrists suggested I make this list to help me get over the trauma and focus on the positive aspects of not grossly overstuffing your board. My question is to those of you who suffer from this condition but have overcome it...do the voices ever stop?

2. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    You... you hear those voices, too...?!

I have a spot on my board that I know no pedal will fit, but it's big enough of a void that it screams out at me every time I see it...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Those are the worst.

Shamiri On Bass likes this.
  4. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I'll just leave this here:

Products

5. Too close...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

JimmyM likes this.
  6. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Or maybe less is more...

16898C86-DC63-4BDF-83CD-73AC8696C9D8.jpeg

wmmj, NOVAX, tminus10 and 9 others like this.
  7. Does it say Mooer, Mooer, Mooer? They will fit anywhere...

8. Yep... my voices scream too many pedals, not enough boards... despite my two gator totes that should fit around 8 boss sized pedals on each, i still have a bag stuffed with more that scream at me “ don’t get rid of me, I still have a use”...

JimmyM likes this.
  9. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    my bank account always says: less is more.

Unemploid, wmmj, Mktrat and 2 others like this.
  10. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I'm a guitarist and I support this message.

wmmj and JimmyM like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Proposing restraint on Talkbass? Are you serious? You're likely to be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail for that kind of talk.

Blu bro, Gaolee, dbsfgyd1 and 8 others like this.
  12. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    My wife can no longer pick up my pedal board as it has grown too large!

But, honestly, you are right. Unless what you are playing is simply impossible without effects, on bass your board (and you should have one) should be a tuner, compressor, od, and a wah or envelope filter. Effects for effects sake on bass is stupid: the guitar has the range to just "keep a little reverb on" where on bass if you aren't using it specifically, it is usually just mud.

But the music we play (guitarist and I) is a mix of metal and shoegaze so we are both hauling massive rigs of pedals. My rule is that a pedal only makes it on the board if I use it for more than one tune, but that still leaves a big board. For ambient, however, I usually have compressor, phaser, synth, OD, fuzz, reverb, and trem always on and add other effects when needed (two distortion, freeze, another synth, delay, EQ). My "travel" board has 6 pedals on it, but that includes a HoG and a tube pedal, so it still looks massive.

But we are playing a 6-string bass and an 8-string guitar so we just want to punish ourselves with sound.

wmmj and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Haha this is awesome Jimmy. I know for me, I grew out of #6 a long time ago. I was always like "but there's still some space there!!!" haha I learned that if I didn't cram it full it was much easier to perform #3 which is something I found out over time that I did a lot. I am always swapping things out. Try swapping out a Boss sized pedal for the B:assmaster.....not gonna happen. But the biggest one for me as of late has got to be #1. For so long I was doing the tippy toe tap dance on stage telling myself things like "but look at all the options I have here" or "I got that covered with that and this and the other thing"..... God it got tiring after a few years. So recently I cut out my second board and even then made cuts on my main board and I am so much happier for it now! Now I can actually "stomp" a pedal if I needed to. And I put the multi type pedals where you switch banks with 2 foot switches at once up front so they were right there. It has made my life on stage so much easier and I can now utilize those pedals in ways I was skittish about before for fear of the difficulty of just activating or switching them on and off.

It took me a while to get there, but I finally am at that point where I don't have stress when I look down at my board trying to decide what to use for any given part. I plan on converting to the PT Pro mid 2018. The board I use now is a DIY and it's served me very well. But I like the way that PT boards look when all done and wired. They just look neat and organized. More than mine ever has that's for sure.

JimmyM and Nunovsky like this.
  14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thanks for posting #7, Jimmy. I'll sleep better now. :D

JimmyM likes this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What you need is a dummy pedal that will fill such empty spots on your board, but has no actual function. Like one of those metal blanks you use to fill empty electronics holes. Paint something impressive on it like "Klon" and just let people think it's doing something.

Hey, I think I see a marketing opportunity...

FenderB, Jason Hollar, wmmj and 4 others like this.
  16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The voices stopped when I bought a smaller board.

Blu bro, gustobassman, crguti and 2 others like this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'm boring!!

I only take whatever it is I need for any given gig.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    #8 - you can use a small enough board that there's no danger of the miserable AA gate agent - who's having a bad day - forcing you to gate check the peadal board in a soft case that you have ALWAYS carried on with no questions, thereby allowing a baggage handler to snap a pot knob off at the stem on your preamp, and you don't even notice until sound check the next day when there's no knob to turn.

Nephilymbass, HolmeBass and JimmyM like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I sometimes find it amusing to leave an obviously empty space one pedal away from the last one on a board just to watch the reaction of the pedal aficionados. When asked if I just recently took something off the board I look at them innocently and say “No. Why do you ask?”

(Or is that just being cruel?)

20. Sure, you can ignore JUST the pedal board... but when its the 500 series lunchbox AND the 19in racks plotting against you too...

40Hz, Robb Fesig and JimmyM like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021