1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reattach Ripper Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by borgward, May 1, 2010.

1. borgward

borgward

Sep 28, 2006
    Need to reattach Ripper Neck. It just came unglued as I picked it up out of the case at a gig. No warning.

There is no torn wood. I am thinking of putting it back together w/epoxy. I know thats a no no for instruments. Anybody know what kind of Glue Gibson used when it was made. Both the neck and the body have the date Jul 28 1978 stamped in the joint. Any glue recommendations?

It looks like it would be simple to clamp the neck down onto the body, but I am wondering about how to clamp it end wise into the slot.

I notice that there is a hole (1/16 +/-) in the bottom of the groove in the body. It has about a 5/16" to 3/8" ring milled around it, not very deep. I turned the body over and can see thru the clear finish that has been filled w/filler. What is it's purpose?

Can anyone recommend someone in the Austin TX area that could do this repair if I chicken out?

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I WOULD have a luthier do it.

You do realize, if you have the neck only slightly offset to an angle in either direction - it will screw up all of your fretting and intonation.

Get a tech to do it right - so its done right the first time. (No offense to your skills here either, but you don't really wan't to have to REMOVE the neck because it won't play right, now do ya? ;) )

3. Why is epoxy a no-no?

Maybe 5-minute over the counter stuff because it's soft even after full cure, but the pro-grade epoxies are a solid product.

I must have missed this memo.

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Hide glue is what Gibson used back then, according to the repair guy/ luthier I used to go to back in the late 70's, when my then relatively new 75 Ripper needed repair work. I had no reason to doubt him back in 77, so I sure in heck still have no doubt about what he told me back then was true.

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    take it to Mark Erlewine.. this shouldn't cost all that much, but plan on paying for a set up too.. and an extra set of strings..

Erlewine Guitars
    4402 Burnet Rd.
    Austin,Tx 78756

512-302-1225

the glue used is a PVA type glue.. i.e. tightbond.. but, don't do it yourself.. if the mortise is that loose you really should have a luthier actually set it in..