1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reattach Ripper Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by borgward, May 2, 2010.

1. borgward

borgward

Sep 28, 2006
    I hope this is not a double posting. I posted this last night, but can not find it anywhere in the talk bass forum.

How to reattach Ripper neck. The neck came off in my hand as I was removing the Ripper from the case at a gig last night. I have had no trouble with the neck in the past. I found the date jul 28 1978 under the key in the neck, and in the slot in the body. Body has clear finish. Appears to be maple.

What kind of glue did Gibson use during this period of time? What kind of glue to use? I can clamp the neck to body (front to back) Do I need to clamp it endwise? If so how. It looks like there was not a tight fit sideways as there is a thick layer between the sides of the neck and the body slot.

I bought it from a friend who was the original owner. I bought it in about 1983 or 84.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    get it done professionally.

it's not complicated, but you only get one shot at it, and if you get it even slightly wrong, you've ruined the bass.

3. borgward

borgward

Sep 28, 2006
    Sounds like white glue which is used so that a joint can be undone w/o causing tearout is not strong enough to do the job.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it is if it's done right, which was my point.

5. borgward

borgward

Sep 28, 2006
    I just got a reply from Gibson. They claim they use Titebond. Don't know if that stuff was around in 78.