1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rebirth of the Badass! The new Omega Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by walterw, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Not really. I'm quite happy with the Fender Hi-Mass bridge & the G&L bridge I'm working with now.
    I'm going to go find all the topics of gear I don't appreciate now & just randomly throw my comments in that it's ugly & crap.

2. asands

asands Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    As to bridges making a difference, I can only say my Hipshot Vintage bridge make a big improvement in sustain on my P over the stock Fender bridge. Quick string load is nice also, but I digress. Good to see someone making a reasonable priced BA clone

stuntbass77 likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I used to see Fender Hi-Mass bridges on eBay that looked very similar to a BAII for only $30.
    I wish I had bought at least one for a spare or even resell.

mb94952 likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    If you want people to respect your opinion, you should lead with information like that instead of saying it's ugly & cheap.
    I know I listen to my local luthier's opinion, because he's basically seen it all.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've seen this happen as well when I worked music retail many years ago.

6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Cotati, CA
    Used BAII bridges, mostly in excellent condition, don't cost much more than these. At least the last time I checked. However, I think it's great that someone is bringing the design back. I may even pick one up.

I would love to see them offer these with the multi-groove saddles that were on the later BAIIs.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I always thought those little screws were the weakest link in the design. Never mind sweat...drop one of those suckers and you might as well chalk it up as a sacrifice to the same fairy gods that hide your car keys and cell phone chargers.

MovingPitchers and pacojas like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, you finally get Talkbass!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    As someone else said. I thought Fender bought the rights to this bridge ?

10. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yeah, because the high mass part of it is kind of lost right there. There's only the end of that screw touching the bridge, so a lot of the advantage of the higher mass is lost.

11. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner of iron ore Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I just ordered 3 to have on hand. Thanks from a long time BadAss user for posting the link.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hey, i think that the bridge i'm using is far superior too, low mass, rock-solid, with adjustable string spacing and steel saddles:
    bassbridge.
    agreed, which is why i'm glad to see it come back.
    +1, i don't see why they couldn't have fixed this and gone to the next size up like fender bass saddles use; still, a little 3-in-one oil on the threads every now and then is all you need to do to maintain things.

13. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I sweat like a prostitute in church on a Sunday morning and I've never had trouble with screws rusting up, but then again my sweat might be magical. Hard to say.

Fat Steve, cadeallen, lee m and 3 others like this.
  14. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    It's the chemical composition of the sweat, not just sweat itself. I've met guys who can ruin the gold finish on a bass after one or two sets. I've played a bass with gold hardware for decades and the hardware still looks new.

Thisguy likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I drop some oil into the holes on all those screws whenever I do my first string change.

static0verdrive likes this.
  16. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Therein lies the advantage of the Babicz design.

17. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    How can I find out about my sweats chemical composition? I might have some super special sweat that is anti corrosive that could be bottled and sold. Would a PH test help? Not sure.

18. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yeah, get some of those PH test strips.

jacolyte likes this.
  19. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    #solvemyneckdive

static0verdrive and scottyd like this.
  20. I bought my first Badass II in 1983. I've been using them ever since. I primarily use a pick and sometimes rest my hand on the bridge. I also sweat a lot, even under water. I have never had the any of the screws rust in place.

Dadagoboi and tkonbass like this.