1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Rebirth of the Badass! The new Omega Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by walterw, Aug 14, 2015.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The only thing a high mass bridge is good for is moving a dead spot one fret over...and as paperweight.

I have a 2012 Fender AmStd Precision and think the extra coin could have been better spent than basically sticking a silly bar where the original backstop used to be. Added weight for nominal effect. I've played basses where BAII's were great bridges...and other basses where they were added as an aftermarket upgrade that served no purpose other than to stiffen the plucking action and necessitate a shim because of the added string height-anything for moar toanz!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yeah, they're totally useless. I wonder why so many people pay over $100 for them.

3. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

I "liked" this post because I do the same thing. I LOVE to order extra parts that I like just to have them on hand when I actually do need them. It has saved me SO much time and anticipation waiting for the mailman.

As far as these bridges being sold as "blanks" I see that as another cost built in when I have to have my tech cut the slots for me. Slots, not sluts :) ( You said sweat like a prostitute, etc.. )

alembicguy likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Just buy a set of files dude.

CID Vicious likes this.
  5. Weberman

Weberman

Apr 8, 2014
    Nilbog, Ohio
    Some tests indicate that the variance in pH from subject to subject is insignificant in the rate at which they cause metals to corrode with their sweat. That isn't to say it might not be a factor, but that it isn't one that has shown to be obviously significant across many tests.

One thing that does seem to be a significant variable is the salinity of said sweat. You would probably have to test for that. You may be able to get that done for free at a local university, provided you approach them with a hypothesis that needs to be tested. They have specific tests for this, usually used to check chloride levels in cystic-fibrosis patients (who have impaired chloride-ion channels). You may also be able to check using a device used for testing soil, although I have never tried such a thing, myself.

Other than that, there may be other constituents in the sweat of rusters, possibly due to diet, or other external factors (e.g. soaps or lotions), which increase the hygroscopicity of their sweat, and / or introduce other corrosive elements into the system.

6. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    As long as no rectal insertion (for me), I'm game.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive never had this happen with any of the badasses ive had over the years but have had multiple hipshot A's that have had the adjustment screws freeze in place. ive had to use penetrating oil to get them to move again. drives me nuts. my hands dont sweat, i dont live in a particularly damp environment and this happens with brand new bridges. ugh.

8. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I've learned to take them out & lube them, either with silicone or just plain 3-in-1 oil.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Bad PH~
    image.

Old Garage-Bander, lee m and hintz like this.
  10. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Cotati, CA
    I don't think they did. What's certain is that they bought plenty of them to fill the needs of all the basses they sell that used them. Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Nate Mendel, Marcus Miller. Quan apparently went out of business, but I don't know if that's because of a buyout or he chose to. I've heard some rumors, but there's been nothing official. Anyway, I think if Fender had the rights to make them, they would make the bridges as BAII bridges and sell them for a tidy profit. Their take on the BAII is similar with some subtle differences, and a touch less expensive.

Interesting comment about high mass bridges moving a dead spot. I have installed a few BAII bridges aftermarket and never observed that effect.

I will agree that the BAII is a bit higher, The one Jazz that I have with one has a small shim because of this. My Nate Mendel Precision (also with BAII) doesn't need a shim, due to the neck being thicker back to front. I have my action set pretty low, and I still have room. The strings will bottom out before the saddles.

11. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I want one in black 0.o Oh Nice.. it does come in black!.. I'm so getting one for my Jazz. Thanks for this post!

You just saved me some money.. I was about to go with Babicz because finding a black BA-II wasn't proving to be an easy process. Guess I need to look into filing grooves on these things.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  13. Right Jimmy, some people seem to forget the "b" in Talkbass

CID Vicious and mb94952 like this.
  14. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I love that bridge. Probably my favorite after the supersexy G&L Saddle Lock one.

15. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Glendora, CA.
    It's a legit Badass III. Those are for string-through-body bridges.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Looks cool. Don't know/care about tone, but a shiny chrome Badass looks more "correct" on 70's style Fenders than even the stock Fender bridge. :D

lee m, Nino Valenti and hintz like this.
  17. mc900ftj

mc900ftj Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Go over to www.talkmassspectrometers.com and look in the Classifieds section for a used instrument. Just be prepared to wade through hundreds of "What's the best mass spectrometer for metals?" threads.

:wacky:

18. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I had to replace a BADASS1 recently on my 76 Eagle
    WP_20150815_02_39_26_Pro.
    Just nasty!! I think that corrosion is from the tropical climate here, it was like this when i bought it(though i do sweat profusely on most gigs)

Those saddle screws are shot, beyond rusted in place, I let it soak in "PB blaster" spray for 2 days and no luck moving them.

So I found another in pristine shape for $86 on evilBay...

WP_20150715_13_33_13_Pro.

I guess my point is that it would be great if someone (anyone!) made a replacement for these original BADASSES

19. Miker27607

Miker27607

Jan 3, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    None
    I had to replace my bridge recently and got the Hipshot vintage design. I was having some issues with my stock bridge on my P bass and the Hip Shot fixed the problem and really enhanced my sustain. I was under the impression that there weren't going to be any more BA products, so this is great news. I think that the more options out there the better for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015