1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rebirth of the Badass! The new Omega Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by walterw, Aug 14, 2015.

1. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    But the new ones do not tell me I am a bad ass when I practice in front of the mirror... ;) All joking aside, I am happy to see them back in production - options are always good (and I own two of the original BAII's).

lee m and Fuzzy Dustmite like this.
  2. so three screw holes? then

3. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    I use a razor saw to start the slot in the exact spot I want it and then a round needle file just deep enough to keep the strings from slipping out of the groove...works great for a 12er, a 4 and everything in between. I was taught by Dan Erlewine that slots in nuts and bridge saddles are NEVER supposed to be deeper than 1/2 the diameter of the string.
    P1060034_zpsc9c362eb.

4. Wait, I'm not sure we are on the same page here, the bridge for sale that you posted or that new Omega bridge? If you're talking the one from ebay yes it's real Glen Quan and 3 hole string through body. If you are asking if the Omega bridge from the allparts link is legit Quan and available as a 3 hole, I think it's made by Omega Guitar in the UK and I can only see this one 5 hole BAII copy.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I can remember discussing BA bridges in a music shop & one of the gals there was quizzical, so we had to explain it's a brand

Filing a Badass II bridge. - Sputnik Music Forums

6. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I pick up his book from the local library as reference sometimes.
    He's got a YouTube channel too.

Leo Smith and Dadagoboi like this.
  7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    NoCal
    But probably not EXCLUSIVE license.

8. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    Patent expired quite a while ago and there must not have been a trademark application filed. and its in public domain.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the part about stringing up the bass and marking either side of the string on the saddle is good, i do that too.

the filing procedure seems pointlessly tedious though; there's no reason to do two file swipes and check the string fit, two swipes and fit, over and over like that; it's not like one file stroke too many will hurt anything (like it would doing a nut slot).

find your spot (double checking that it's right) and start filing! keep going until you have a reasonable little V-groove there, one that reaches to the front edge of the saddle.

MarkoYYZ and Goad like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would rather quit playing bass than put a bridge on my bass that I have to cut my own slots.

Just throwing that out there :D

Matto1349, Khronic and Chris Hass like this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    The one I was using on my Fender JP-90 had never been filed, but the strings had worn into it.

12. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    That's exactly what Geddy said when they asked him about his BA.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that's no good; the key to the whole design depends on the string being solidly held in place by a cut-in groove, to create a defined witness point for string vibration, eliminate any moving around with more vigorous playing and to keep the spacing precise.

sure, it'll work but it shortchanges what the bridge was supposed to do.

14. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    When I got the BAII it was on a bass that was 24 years old & the strings were already well worn down into the bridge, but it didn't look like someone had filed slots for them.

15. lee m

lee m

Apr 9, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Id buy one of these if I couldn't get my hands on a badass bridge ll, Or maybe even if I could thinking about.

16. Has the OP or anyone else actually tried one of these to see if they're really the same as the old BAII or not?

CID Vicious likes this.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I bet it was filed, but over time the string wore the v shaped groove round.

18. lee m

lee m

Apr 9, 2015
    Worcestershire
    The price seems good, and apparently an exact copy of BA ll

19. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    I have one arriving tomorrow, I'll let youse guys know.

20. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    Arrived about half an hour ago.

0%20OMEGA%20BADASS_zpsvkrnbzq2.

The plating and overall quality is excellent. If you're a fan of the Badass II, you'll like it IMO. If you're not, nothing to see here.

The saddles and length adjusting screws appear to be interchangeable with the BA II. My two basses with them are buried and I'm too busy to dig them out at the moment.

This Omega is nickel plated, the preferred finish of Old Farts everywhere. I'm betting the other finishes are the same quality. The BA and BA III are chrome, I bought them used.