1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rebirth of the Badass! The new Omega Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by walterw, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    so the strings just rest on the top there? I'm looking for a replacment bridge for my 2015 Jaguar, wondering if these will fit

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    There's been quite a lot of discussion about cutting slots for the strings & even some tutorials on how it's done.

Dadagoboi likes this.
  3. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    these are not string through, or do I need new glasses?

4. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Correct, it's an exact copy of a Badass II. They're top mount only

Pretty easy to drill them out for string thru, I did it to one of mine in '97, before Badass III came out.

[​IMG]

You can see string thru holes clearly on D and G in line with the mounting screws. I used it top loaded on this bass but it worked just fine thru the body on others.

Goad likes this.
  5. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    I sent Allparts a question about Badass II Replacement Saddles:

[​IMG]

Dadagoboi and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Does anyone know where these are being made?? US or China??

7. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    Just a technical question out of curiosity.......why are BadAss bridges and their twin brothers considered to be so good?

When I look at pics of them I don't see anything revolutionary really......

96tbird and Dadagoboi like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They were the first high mass replacement bridge on the market. That's it, really.

Dadagoboi likes this.
  9. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    Sort of like Columbus 'discovering' America or Leo and the Precision. Somebody had to be the 'first'...whether it was a good idea or not.

Kudos to Quan for finding a perceived need and filling it...not trademarking the look was probably a major mistake.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well, at the time they were replacements for '70s fender bridges, which had no adjustable spacing and gaps between the saddles so they would slide around and drift out of adjustment.

remember, aside from the high mass thing the design "hook" with the quan was primarily that you'd notch the saddles (creating your ideal string spacing) and that the saddles rode in those tracks in the bridge base so there was no side-to-side movement.

funny that the '60s stock fender bridges with the threaded saddles had already solved both of those problems, only to be abandoned by CBS.

96tbird, Dadagoboi and rockinrayduke like this.
  11. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    Still my favorite Fender bridge.

96tbird likes this.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

What does that matter? Leave politics out of it.

On a different note, if the saddles are sitting up on two screws (like most bridges do), elevated from the plate, just how does anyone figure the extra mass being advantageous over a stable threaded saddle Fender?

Fat Steve likes this.
  13. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    After being a victim of off shoring jobs several times, it makes a difference to me. Plus so many products from China have been found to have enviromently bad materials in them and the quality can be highly questionable at times.

14. 96tbird

We'll it's being sold by an American company isn't it? And for a hefty $80 to boot.

I'll add that there presence of all the nasty metals and plastics in all your electric and electronic devices in your home make your consideration of a zinc bridge, made in relatively small numbers for a tiny market, somewhat absurd.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Fat Steve and Dadagoboi like this.
  15. I own 6 basses, all Fender style.
    4 have BadAss bridges, one has a Hipshot A and one has a Gotoh. They're all better than the original Fender bridge IMHO because (except for the Gotoh) they all have saddles which rest in tracks. This is an improvement over the bent plate bridge because the saddles can't move side to side. It's funny that even Fender's improvements on their bridges haven't addressed this.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Both the AmStd bridge and the bent plate AmDlx bridge I got to replace it have tracks for the saddles. Just sayin' :D

the ombudsman likes this.
  17. Both the AmStd bridge and the bent plate AmDlx bridge I got to replace it have tracks for the saddles. Just sayin' :D

On one Fender bridge, yes you got me. As you can see at about 2:27 of this Ed Friedland video for the Am Std P5, the 2008 and later hi mass vintage bridge that Fender has been using on their American Standard and American Deluxe models does have tracks that the saddles rest in. I've noticed that they're quite shallow and maybe still prone to slip?

A few years ago, I saw this video for a new hi mass bridge on their custom shop basses:

At about the 3:02 mark, you can see that this bridge does not have any tracks. My question is why not? They went to all that trouble designing and making it and it still looks like it would have the same issues as their original design.

I know that here on Talkbass, some people love their BA bridges and some hate them. I happen to like them. To each his own. I'm glad to see that someone else is making them again and it looks exact, unlike Fender's bad version.
    YMMV

18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Cotati, CA
    I think the side-to-side movement of the saddles would be minimized by the design of that particular bridge.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm. yeah, there's no tracks on that one. Weird. At any rate, I've not had any trouble with slippage out of the tracks, so I'll keep it, and really, I'm just not that fussy about them to where it matters to me even if they slide a little. But I get why others might be irritated with it...it's just not a big concern for me.

the ombudsman likes this.
  20. 96tbird

Why would it need tracks when the outer rails do the same thing? Each saddle is nestled against its neighbor and the outer two hit the outer walls.

BA has zero advantage to that bridge.

Fat Steve and the ombudsman like this.