1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rebirth!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NetRngr, Nov 28, 2017.

1. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    So early on a few years ago I wanted to learn to play bass using Rocksmith, great program to teach you the basics might I add, I purchased an old late 80's model Squier Jazz Bass from a guy I worked with. It was a huge POS. It had spent a few years disassembled with its parts in a box and he had to put it together for me to get it. You get the picture: missing screws, dirty, body beat to hell. Luckily no cracks or major damage other than dents were on the body. I didn't want to sink a lot into this bass before I knew it was where I was directed musically. End result I had 60 bucks in a bass that sort of played. Sustains would not hold and some notes would not register at all in the software.
    I give you the Zombie Apocalypse Bass. (I had the sticker laying around.)
    blacksm. bridgesm. headsm. neckjointsm.
    It was during the teardown I discovered that this bass was made in 94/95 as evidenced by the stickers/markings in the neck joint. As you can see the thing was in really poor shape. One of the first thing that caught my eye however was that this bass was MiM and had the Schaller licenced open tuners on it. I had already purchased a set of tuning machines but decided to save them for a kit build or something.
    After much work I present the finished bass:
    inprogsm. babiessm.
    Bass Purchase:
    Bass cost: $60

Upgrades/Work:
    Striped, filled, and refinished body with Metalflake Purple paint. - 25$ - Paint, Primer, Clear
    Replaced pickups with Fender American Standard Pickup Set - $35 bucks used
    Prewired control Plate - $25 bucks (Hooray Amazon)
    New 3 layer Pickguard - $11
    BB-E4-C High Mass Bridge - $18.99 Bass Parts Resource
    Copper Shielding Tape - $15 for a roll that will do at least 4 guitars
    3M Metal Repair Tape - $7 @ Lowes. Shielding for under side of pick guard.(This tapes adhesive is NOT conductive like the copper tapes is be warned.

Grand total 196.99 and I now have a bass that plays as good or better than any mid range bass I could have purchased. This thing has sustain for days, notes fret like buttah, and it just feels really good like it wants to be played. My Yamaha is now plotting my downfall as It will not be played nearly as much any longer.
    What do ya think?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    digmeout and Duder like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think you screwed your math up.

You have $196.99 into parts and 40 hours @$25/hr in labor.
    Sounds like a $1200 bass to me :D

3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Looks great! Well done on the cost, too.

4. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Hahah nahh I did it mainly to learn. These two were my first mods and refinishes. I really had fun so I gave myself labor for free haha.

Duder likes this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Oops. Just realized I was having fun and forgot to give you a compliment.
    Nice work. The finish looks great, but the guitar would be a better match if it was orange. Purple and green clash IMHO

6. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Can't play em both at the same time ;)

charlie monroe likes this.
  7. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Thanks man!

Duder likes this.
  8. Looking good. Learning how to do repairs is always a good thing.