Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ReBop electronics -- change options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave M, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    I'm curious if anyone here has changed out the pickups and/or preamp in a ReBop, primarily a ReBop 5 Dlx.

I had a chance to try one out today and wasn't too impressed with the electronics side of things. Granted, I'm a bit spoiled with the HazLab in my NS-2, but I'm sure the EMG-HZ are a big culprit in the ReBop. And I'm not fond of the VVBT arrangement of the Tone Pump preamp, either.

Any input from the Spector faithful, bruthas? :D

2. My fretless 'Bop 5 has an Aggie 2-band(OBP-1?)- I like it but prefer the OBP-3(I have this in a Stambaugh 6), which is able to boost or cut(the 2-band is boost-only)& has bypass. I also like one volume & a blend knob, though some feel this setup degrades tone slightly.

Edit: I have liked the majority of EMG-equipped basses I have heard or played, so perhaps our taste differs. My Stammie has Aeros- the best! :bag:

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I modded my NS2000/5 as follows:

EMG 40DC at the neck

EMG 40CS at the bridge

EMG BQC to replace the EMG BTS...

The DC is nice and beefy, but I found it too harsh in the treble end at the bridge...the CS (Ceramic Steel) is a lot warmer in that respect.

The BQ gave me sweepable mid control...3 band EQ...whereas the BT only has 2 band...so it gave me that little bit more control over my tone.

I'm a HUGE fan of buying a brands alleged "lower end" instruments (and I say alleged because a lot of people seem to look down their noses at the Professional/Korean made basses as inferior to their Euro and US counterparts) and then upgrading the electronics to match or exceed those of their "higher end" basses.

One of my co-workers has an NS2000B that he's going to be upgrading with Basslines pickups and one of their pre-amps. The Performance Series is supposed to be the lowest end of Spectors, but I bet that is going to be one smoking axe when he's done with it!

Don't be afraid to experiment a little if you have the resources available to you.

4. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    Thanks for the info, guys. That's good to know. Hopefully this post will put the bump in pump :)D), and some more replies will be forthcoming.