1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ReBop electronics -- change options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave M, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    I'm curious if anyone here has changed out the pickups and/or preamp in a ReBop, primarily a ReBop 5 Dlx.

I had a chance to try one out today and wasn't too impressed with the electronics side of things. Granted, I'm a bit spoiled with the HazLab in my NS-2, but I'm sure the EMG-HZ are a big culprit in the ReBop. And I'm not fond of the VVBT arrangement of the Tone Pump preamp, either.

Any input from the Spector faithful, bruthas? :D

2. My fretless 'Bop 5 has an Aggie 2-band(OBP-1?)- I like it but prefer the OBP-3(I have this in a Stambaugh 6), which is able to boost or cut(the 2-band is boost-only)& has bypass. I also like one volume & a blend knob, though some feel this setup degrades tone slightly.

Edit: I have liked the majority of EMG-equipped basses I have heard or played, so perhaps our taste differs. My Stammie has Aeros- the best! :bag:

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I modded my NS2000/5 as follows:

EMG 40DC at the neck

EMG 40CS at the bridge

EMG BQC to replace the EMG BTS...

The DC is nice and beefy, but I found it too harsh in the treble end at the bridge...the CS (Ceramic Steel) is a lot warmer in that respect.

The BQ gave me sweepable mid control...3 band EQ...whereas the BT only has 2 band...so it gave me that little bit more control over my tone.

I'm a HUGE fan of buying a brands alleged "lower end" instruments (and I say alleged because a lot of people seem to look down their noses at the Professional/Korean made basses as inferior to their Euro and US counterparts) and then upgrading the electronics to match or exceed those of their "higher end" basses.

One of my co-workers has an NS2000B that he's going to be upgrading with Basslines pickups and one of their pre-amps. The Performance Series is supposed to be the lowest end of Spectors, but I bet that is going to be one smoking axe when he's done with it!

Don't be afraid to experiment a little if you have the resources available to you.

4. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    Thanks for the info, guys. That's good to know. Hopefully this post will put the bump in pump :)D), and some more replies will be forthcoming.