Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rebuilding a Peavey 410TX...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LWatford, Jul 19, 2004.

1. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I've had this cab for awhile now, and have just lived with it. When I bought it, there were major problems (I had a post about it then) which were corrected by "force" (I took everything out but the speakers and wired them straight to a jack). Oh, and as for the speakers, two are the correct PV Sheffields, and two are Fender guitar speakers (yeah :eyebrow: )...I think I want to try and put this thing back together again. I've got the part numbers for the Sheffield speakers I need (I figure that should be cheaper than four new Deltas or something), and the PV tweeter.

The tweeter and crossover elements are where my question comes in. I've read quite a few threads talking about the sonic improvement created by switching to a different tweeter/crossover. Any thoughts or suggestions?

From what I could tell about the 410TX, it seemed like the tweeter might be crossed over a little high for my taste. Any ideas here? Suggestions for a different crossover?

If I do just go with another PV tweeter, does anyone know the model number of the crossover in a 410TX?

Thanks,
    Lee

2. You can get Eminence Delta 10 speakers for $50 at avatarspeakers.com. When you do the wiring you probably want to connect them in a series - parallel configuration.

3. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Hum...$200 for four...$100 for two...Any thoughts on mis-matched speakers? Might work well, as the stock Peaveys seem pretty bass heavey right now...

4. The only issue you may have with mismathing speakers is matching efficiency. I tried doing a search for a sheffield 10 and only came up with a 12 and a 15. Anyway it would be nice to check the efficiency (spl) of the original speakers and see if they are close to the same as the delta 10s. Chances are they are close but if they are way off one set of speakers will be louder than the other.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd be going for the Sheffields.

If you want to use different speakers, it's crutial to check that those speakers will operate properly in that size cab. Then the cab's porting has to be readjusted. Remember that you can put a great speaker in the wrong cab and it will perform poorly.

6. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    well, I can get two sheffields for $140. Probably just do that, probably the best idea.

Any other thoughts on the Crossover/Tweeter? I can get a replacment horn from Peavey for $50-ish, but not a crossover (they just sell parts, but I can get those from our local electronics place).

Thanks again,
    Lee

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You'll probably find this thread to be of interest.............

Tweeter replacement/upgrade for an Avatar cabinet