1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rebuilding an 8x10, stoner/sludge style

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SunBlackSmoke, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SunBlackSmoke

SunBlackSmoke

Oct 5, 2013
    Hey guys, first time poster here, tryin to get some input into a rig im starting to rebuild. Without getting super technical, i bought a beat up Acoustic B-810 (4 ohm) for $50. Its only got 2 working stock speakers in it, and i wanted to slowly start replacing them. Ive been looking at Eminence basslites. We play sludge/doom (think Sabbath mixed with Mastodon)

Gear im actively using:

Spector legend 5string (adgcf) emg active PU
    Fender pbass MIM (cgcf)
    Ampeg B4R solid state
    ampeg 6x10hlf
    MarkBass 1x15
    Behringer vintage fuzz
    EH electric mistress
    Dunlop Bass Crybaby

Does anyone have any input as to what speakers would sound best for this setup? Moneys not an issue really, since i plan on taking the better part of a year to rebuild this. Im very happy with my rig now, but id like to have the option to switch cabs. And no, im not gonna go out and buy an ampeg fridge. I just wanna work with the Acoustic.

Thanks

2. Imho there is no reasonable way to get that cab performing better than the 610hlf you have.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Use eminence alpha 10a woofers wired series/parallel. Make sure there is fiberglass insulation inside the cab as well.

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I agree with CL400Peavey on this. The 810 might provide a different "flavor" sound than the Ampeg SVT-610HLF. I would say it will hardly be neither louder nor deeper that the Ampeg, given that you have enough amplifier to really push the Ampeg.

5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    Since you don't want your 610, how about you donate it to me??? :D:bag:

6. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    wait a minute, i just realized something..... you have an 810 with two working speakers. you have a 610 with 6 working speakers. why dont you just use the speakers in the 610?

7. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    sorry, nevermind. i just read that you want to be able to go back and forth. my bad

8. You cannot mix different speakers in the same cab.

Cabs are scientifically built AROUND the speaker being used. You CANNOT throw any speaker that fits into the baffle mounting hole and expect it to work right.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Um, please refrain from giving advice on cab building until you thoroughly research it or at least have a basic understanding of it. Not trying to be a jerk here but giving bad advice is FAR worse than giving no advice at all.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have refrained from giving my advice because I understand that some people probably like that Acoustic cab.

If it were me I would never throw away any money on it.

11. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    notice how i ASKED? i didnt say "hey you should just use the speakers from the other cab"

it wasnt bad advise, it was a question.

12. +1

The amount of time and money that have to be invested in getting drivers that will work in the cab, plus maybe having to re-engineer a little to optimize the cab sounds like too much effort.

Better and probably cheaper to buy a used cab that is constructed better.

13. SunBlackSmoke

SunBlackSmoke

Oct 5, 2013
    Guys, youre missing the point. I just wanna know what speakers would be a good fit for the cab/style. I know id obviously be better off with a better quality cab, or something with bigger dimensions, but this is what i have to work with.

14. No, not missing the point. It is more that you are going to spend some amount of money to buy drivers. For what you are going to spend in raw drivers, you could just buy a used cab that will out perform your crap shoot of an 810 project.

15. SunBlackSmoke

SunBlackSmoke

Oct 5, 2013
    I already have a rig that will out perform it. Im just trying to make a project so i can learn how to build cabs myself. Just looking for some good sounding speaker that i can put in it. Im not trying to make something "better" than what i have. Im just looking for brands/wattages that will sound good. Im not gonna go get a used cab.

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Wattages isn';t a thing to look for, its a meaningless spec.

8x10 design predated modern design stuff, but they are so common that speakers are made to match the cabs, unlike most cabs that are designed round the speaker. The speaker for the purpose of going into sealed 8x10s is the Eminence Legend B810. Those will work jsut fine, but the expense is the thing.

an 8x10 is not a good way to start learning how to build cabs, because they are so wrong by modern standards, but are assumed right because of their venerable service. Those things are pretty much the enemy of understanding.

17. Then take 10 steps back and understand you dont build the box and then decide which speakers to put in. You pick the speakers and then design the box around them. The internal volume/porting will be determined by the speakers and the voicing you are after.