1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rebuilding horrible old bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LUMPYKILLS, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I just recently replaced my first bass, which is a Yamaha RBX-170 with a nice new epiphone Thunderbird.

Since I now dont have to worry as much about my old bass, I was thinking about doing a few mods to it. First off, here is the bass to be frakensteined -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RBX170-Bass?sku=511081

Since the P in mine is pretty much entirely dead, I was thinking about ripping it out, carving the body a bit, and sticking in a replacement rick-pickup, found here,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Basslines-SRB1-Pickup-For-Rickenbacker-Bass?sku=300064

Whilst I was doing that, I was thinking about replacing the J aswell, and I was wondering if there was a way of wiring them so that they have the highest output possible? And maybe getting a new paintjob for it aswell :D

So with that, I have a few questions, #1 Is this a smart thing to do? #2 How should/could I go about this #3 Would it be worth the time?

Also, I'm pretty open to any other suggestions and possible mod ideas.

Thanks.

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Drop in a Darkstar and have a custom pickguard made.

3. I'd stick with the P/J setup, Plenty of awesome P and J pups out there.

If you want maximum output, wire in a switch so that you could put the P and J pup in series.

4. Explain further?

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    P's negative goes to ground, P's positive goes to J's negative, J's positive is hot. You can reverse the positioning of the P and J, as well. There you go, series wiring. HUGE tone.

6. Well, my brain just exploded.

7. Think of it this way, it basically makes the pickups work together like one big pickup.

8. Wow.
    So, I wouldn't be able to control individual volumes?

9. When in series mode, no, it only uses a single volume control.

10. Sweet.
    So, will the output be ridiculous?

11. No, but its higher than with the pickups in parallel (normal wiring).

The tone is also different. Like i said tho, stick in a switch, and see what you think about it

12. Okay, sounds like it could be a fun mod