Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, May 24, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I've got a car right now. But i've been wanting something different, just because A) I hate driving Automatic cars and B) i hate fords

I'm going to start saving up for something different, and i'm going to trade in my '97 Taurus when i get the money to pay the difference. I'd really actually like to rebuild a car. Mainly i think it would just give me alot of experience that could help me out later on, and also it would just be something to be proud of. Does anyone know of a site that sells mainly cars for restoration or projects? I'd love to have an early corvette... talkin' fifties or early sixties. any ideas?
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't know if this is what you're looking for but you could always check Ebay for some old beat up cars that you could restore. I am by no means a car person so what i just said could be completely wrong. Thats all
  3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yeah, i checked EBay. They've got some good stuff on there. Its just spread all over the country and i dont have the means to travel all the way across the country to pick up a car. I guess i'm just wondering if there is a place like EBay, except exclusivly for project cars
  4. As an honest suggestion, I'd go for simplicity first. Simplicity, as defined in the car world, means a popular (or plentiful) make and model, availability of parts, how easy the car is to work on (ie. the less computer controlled garbage, the better), and above all, $$$. With that in mind, almost any American made, V-8, rear wheel drive car comes into mind. For example, GM F-bodies are as bountiful as any car could ever get, easy to work on (mostly), and you can get parts at the local 7-11, if need be (the F bodies are Camaros, by the way). Even cheaper would be the G-bodies, like Regals and Cutlasses...same format, but smaller price tag, and better insurance rates. Ford is similar with the Fox Body...which is essentially the Mustang. Mopar guys have it tougher recently, unless you want a truck. But for old school muscle cars, they're hard to beat. Darts are pretty popular, and not too bad on the wallet. But Mopar parts are a little pricier. My point is that you're better off cutting your teeth on something less cost-intensive than a Vette. You'll understand the second something majorly stupid happens to the car, and you'd feel so much worse if it was a Vette. Keep your eyes open around the neighborhood, you'll be amazed at what you'll find. And as a final car hunting sales are a goldmine. Grotesque, maybe...but it's also an excellent way to nab a cool-ass older car for minimal cash outlay.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You really need a plan before you roll up your sleeves and dive in. How far do you want to go in rebuilding a car? Are you looking to do a frame off resto, or something a little more simple like a motor swap? Do you have the time/place to do a major rebuild? These things can take weeks to years, depending how far you wish to go.

With that being said, Hemmings Motor News is a great place to start. You can find almost anything there from rebuilder specials to restored and fully documented musclecars. Your only limitation is the size of your wallet.