"rebuilt" Squiers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeRules00, May 7, 2002.

1. Well, I remember a thread here not too long ago about how Affinity P-Basses had alder bodies, and some people were talking about this being a good quality for the Squier.

I, after getting a decent amp, have started to see a lot of good things in the Squier, and rather than buy a new bass, I'm thinking about just "rebuilding" it. New pickups, new bridge, new pickguard, possibly new neck, new strings, (NEW KNOBS THAT DONT FALL OFF ALL THE TIME!!!! :) ) And I was wondering if any other guys around here have taken on such a project.
  2. Sounds like you want to change everything but the body. Why not just go buy a new bass? Although I love my Squier, it probably wouldn't be the best body to re-use on a rebuilt bass.

I'd go to Warmoth and browse through the thrift store. They've got some real nice bodies there. You can also find some one eBay.

Keep the Squier, or sell it and buy something else.

By the time you spend the money on the new bridge (~$40), pickguard (~$25), pick ups (~$50-$150), neck ($150 at least), strings ($30), you've got quite a bill run up. You're looking at nearly $300 minimum. To get some high quality parts, you could easily run up a bill of $500+. I'd say save your money and buy a used G&L or American Fender.

Just my .02
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Even though it would be a lot of work, I've had more things fall off my MIM Jazz Bass than my Squier. It appears the Indonesians work harder than the Mexicans do :p.

Just make sure you replace the bridge first (go with BADASS), that's the biggest bang for your buck right there. Then get active electronics. That totals 300 bux and I think it'd sound like $600-$800 for a $200 bass with $300 mods.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You must have just gotten a bad one. I've had my MIM Jazz for 2 years and have never had anything fall off of it.... or any other problem with it for that matter. It is built like a tank.
  5. I plan to rebuild my Squier Precision 5 and I plan to make it a good player bass. I plan to change the electronics and change the tuners. I would like to to keep the thick bridge. For me it's cheaper than a Warmoth because at $249.99, you already have something you can play on which is not true with Warmoth parts project. Now you can add or upgrade as your budget allows and still play.
  6. I had a squire Jazz bass I bought for $150
    on Ebay.
    After I added after market pickguard and Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups, both bought on Ebay, I had a total of <$300 in it.
    The bass looked, played, and sounded incredible.
    The reason I don't have it now is that I got a chance to upgrade to a Warwick.
  7. I have a Squier Affinity P-Bass...I changed out my pickups for a set of '62 Fenders and put on a new pickguard. It sounds great...I love that way it sounds and plays...No complaints from me!!!:D :D :D