Recapturing My Youth, pt. 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Feb 26, 2002.

1. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A couple of weeks ago, I posted a thread about finding a bass similar to one I had when I was but a wee lad... In it, I made reference to my first bass, a Kawai...

My older brother, a very accomplished trumpet player, knew that I wanted to play bass but that my parents would never be supportive, so he bought me the Kawai at a swap meet. He was also instrumental in getting my folks to spring for my first amp, a little Peavey TKO, (45 watts, 12 inch speaker...) Anyhow, I digress. My first bass was stolen when the band and I were loading out after our very first gig, and I have never seen another like it... until now!!!

Found not one, but two up for bid on ebay and won them yesterday. The completed one is almost the exact twin of my first, right down to the nasty pickguard!! At first, I was thinking that it was just similar, but then I saw the switches and knew! It's funny that the seller mentions that the truss rod is probably broken, because the first thing that I did when I got my Kawai as a kid was to yard every screw off the thing, including the truss rod adjuster, and put it all back together. In doing so, I tightened the piss out of the truss rod. I didn't even know what a truss rod was until I got my Musicmaster and mentioned to my buddy, "Hey this wasn't very tight on my other bass either..." He clued me in :) Could this be the same bass??? (For the record, I know that it is not... mine didn't have a capped headstock, and the Kawai logo ran in the same direction as Fenders...)

I found a Peavey TKO in a local music store a few years back, cleaned it up and loaned it out. I just got that back a week ago, but not in playable condition :( I'm stoked! Inside of a single month, I've acquired the same gear that I had in my first year of playing!!! Thanks for letting me share...

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I dunno, I kind of dig the pickguard. :)

I can't wait until I'm old enough to relive my youth...
  3. Thats cool! Have you played the first song you ever learned on it yet?

4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Well, this is another of those "Hated it while I had it" basses... In the other thread about getting my Musicmaster, I kinda dissed the Kawai, implying that it was junk... Some of that definitely comes from the fact that during the time that I had it, (or since, for that matter :D ), nobody played Kawai basses... I'm sure that tightening the truss rod all the way adversely affected the way it played too!

Since seeing this one, I find it growing on me, (even the pickguard!)... I can't wait to get my hands on it! When I told my wife that I didn't intend to gig it, she just laughed... We both know that it's gonna go out on next Friday's gig!

My biggest dillema is what to do with the second bass, (they both go together)? If the truss rod is in fact broken, should I make one bass fretless and have a matched set? How 'bout a piccolo bass?? The possibilities abound!!!

Thanks for reading

5. Have you thought about selling the second bass? Even gutted like it is, necks and bodies sell for quite a nice price on ebay. With it being a rather unique body style, you could probably sell it as a set for $100 or more. Who knows. I've seen necks and bodies sell seperate for $85 and up.

Or you could sell it to a fellow TBer for a project bass for cheap. ;) hint, hint, nudge nudge
  6. This must be the week for finding old basses. I came across my first real bass on Ebay this week, too. Haven't bid on it, though, because I think they're asking too much as a starting bid :(
    I think I paid less than that when I bought it new 18 years ago. Here's a look at it if anyone's curious (or wants to buy it for me :D )

Washburn Headless Bantam
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Not my first... but third was a double neck version of that one. Fretted on top frettless below. I traded it in on a Ric 4003
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I hear ya Dan... I'm pretty certain that I paid a good deal more than this bass cost new some 30-35 years ago :) Likewise with my recent Musicmaster purchase...

At what price, sentimentality?? :D

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Robert, nice to see you recapturing your youth.

I am in the process of it now. I found my 3rd bass(and the one I miss the most) on Ebay, a Westone Quantum Steinberger copy.

Now if I can just find a good 1970's Memphis P bass copy, and a Fender silverface Bassman 10, I can reclaim my glory days!:D

I also need a black Peavey T 40(my second), but those are still plentiful, so I am waiting for the right deal to come along.

Here's a couple of pics of the Westone: