Recapturing My Youth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Feb 9, 2002.

1. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Back in my younger days, (before 5 strings and graphite, in the dawn of active electronics...), I had my first bass, (a very bad rendition by Kawai... before they made the quality of axes of later years), stolen on the night of my very first gig. I was devastated, was going to drop out of my band because I didn't have money to get another bass, etc. My guitar playing buddies parents took pity on me and purchased a Fender Musicmaster, my first 'real' bass, and let me work off the debt. About 18 years ago, this bass was also stolen.

For the past couple of years, I have been keeping my eye out for one of these in good condition... This week I found it on eBay. A '78, in great shape and complete with the little cardboard case. The seller's local and I'm picking it up tomorrow night at 6:00 PM...

I know that these aren't the most sought-after axes, but this one really sends me back. The seller was really cool over the phone and is saying that the bass is in very good condition, works well, etc.

I am more excited about this than I have been about any other recent bass purchases!! Just thought I'd share that...

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cool beans man. Good to see you getting something back.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    the first is always special. Glad she cam back to ya!!!!

4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    not only that bass is a nice bass, but it is also in GREAT condition! let us know which will be your feeling when you'll play it! maybe you have found a Fountain of youth placebo effect!
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great, I hope you enjoy it. I know exactly how you feel. I almost bought a 1975 Epiphone (I forget the model) on ebay for the same reason. I chickened out and didn't buy it, but I would still like to have one. I may still do it someday. Nastalgia can make you do funny things...
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That bass is identical to the first bass that I had.:cool:
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I know the feeling.

Within three years of picking up the bass again, I had picked up the two basses I used to play as a teen - my friend's father's Ric and Guild Starfire Bass.

Yeah, my Ric isn't Fireglo, and my Starfire Bass is a DeArmond, but it was still like coming home again!
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Well, I picked this up tonight at 6:00 and haven't been able to put it down until a few minutes ago. What a blast from the past. The neck is absolutely FANTASTIC!! Very clean cosmetically for a 25 year old 'student model' bass. The thing hasn't been beat to smithereens, just some minor belt rash and a few pits on the face...

The nut has been poorly replaced and was not glued in, so it slides back and forth. I have some Corian laying around and can fashion a new, better nut in no time... I sought and bought this not really intending to gig it, just to have one again, but I dunno... I think it's going to make a public appearance at Saturday's gig!

It sat right up and begged for attention when I played it through my amp... Had a pretty authorative voice with plenty of attitude. I believe that given a chance, it will prove itself worthy. Right now, I'm just diggin' the short-scale vibe as well as this beautiful neck. Dare I say that I feel like a kid again?? I think I'll go and give my wife a hickie!! :D

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats! You've found the Fountain of Youth!
  10. Also identicle to my first, color and all.

If I am not mistaken, isn't that model 3/4 scale ?

Should be able to rip on that thing now !!
  11. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? It looks great! I wouldn't mind having one of those. :D

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Black on balck is so cool, I'm gonna get a black pickguard for my P.
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have been having the same experience! I stopped playing bass 20 years ago. I have been unable to find the the '73 white Telecaster and '74 blonde Rick I used to have. Unfortunately, being a lefty, options are limited. However, I just bought a 2000 American Hot-Rodded P-bass from Musicians Friend for $549! (list 1500) The action is high (needs a setup), but it sounds great! I am back on the bottom again, feeling like i'm 19 at 43!

Now if I could just find the damn fuse cap for my Acoustic 150B, I might be able to get my old rig back together again. The rogue 50w combo I bought with the bass is ok for practice, but that's about it.
  13. That's a fine looking bass!

I hope that I'll never have to sell any of my basses or worse.. have one stolen from me. I feel connected to the two I have now.. I think I'd really miss them if they were gone.
  14. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    congradulations dood thats friggin awesome....
    hopefully in 30 years.. if im still living (if my fiance dont kill me from all my loud playing and thrash metal).. Ill be able to find a yamaha RBX 270... I really like my bass.. i know its not the best or even close but i really dig it.. =D Id like to ad that yamaha.. again to my rig next to a STeve Harris P Bass, a Rickenbacker 4001 in JetGlo and well.. *sniffle* a Aria Pro 2 (RIP CLIFF) *sniffle*... I guess you could say im a classical inspired thrasher... so when im 57 years old.... ill still be head banging.. with neck arthritis... a big belly from all the doritos i eat and a couple of faded tats and a Kill em ALL T SHIRT along with a faded out Iron Maiden Shirt.. hmm... does that bring any memories back to you old guys who were playing bass before i was living? lol
  15. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks guys... It is a sweet little bass. I hear ya Mutilation... My Musicmaster could never be considered a 'top' bass, but it does have the memories packed away in there!

I primed it up a little, put on a new, bone nut and fixed up the electronics. For some reason, only about 30% of the signal was making it to the output. A new volume pot cured that. Played it at Saturday night's gig and it sounded great! I think I'll sport it this Friday too...

Steamboat, it totally sucks having an axe stolen. I've lost a bunch over the years, and each of them hurt some. With the Musicmaster, I didn't really appreciate the bass until I didn't have it anymore. While this isn't the exact one that I originally had, it's definitely a close relation! Like 70's Guy, I put down the bass for quite awhile, right after the Muicmaster got stolen in fact. Living in a new state, lost connections, and just kinda lost heart. Now that I've been playing again for the past 8 or 9 years, I can't ever see myself giving it up :D

Thanks for the interest guys!

16. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Doing the same thing too, watching the wires for something close to what I used for the formative years. Don't over polish it!