1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reccomend an Amp Please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tadp0le, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Tadp0le

Tadp0le

Aug 20, 2007
    Okay, like the title says I need an amp. My price range would probably be 600-800 dollars. (could I get a good amp with that?) My axe right now is a Warwick Corvette Standard, and I love it. IT gets great sound out of my amp right now, even though my amp blows. Right now I just have a starter amp that came with my first starter guitar, its only about 60 watts and it's not very good quality. Could you recommend me one for that price range that would sound great with my corvette? I spent like 1,200 dollars on that baby so I want it to sound great. Also, would it be better to get a combo or a head+cabinet?

2. Tadpole, it'd help if U at least filled out yr profile- to let us know what U R into, what gear U like/don't like/have tried oir owned etc.. But let us know -what type of music U R wanting this rig for & we can help U FAR more.
    ATM.... all I can say is IMHO-get a sep. amp & cab. Offers FAR more capabilities, & down the track, if, 1. the amp blows up or 2. U just don't like it anymore, U can cange just the head & keep the cab & vice-versa for the cab.
    For the amount of $$$$ U shoul be able to get a KILLER rig-especially 2nd hand- look here in TB's classifieds-often some good stuff there for sale!
    tell us what music/style u want it for, what size gigs etc & we can help MUCH more.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1

for me i'd be checking out, older 2nd hand quad boxes; SWR goliath, Eden, etc and a nice solid state head, Markbass, Gk, 2nd hand Thunderfunk 420...

4. Tadp0le

Tadp0le

Aug 20, 2007
    Well, I listen to a lot of classic rock but Ill probably be getting into some jazz soon. As of now, I don't play at gigs but I want an amp that will sound really good for my bass and allow the capability of playing at gigs if the time comes. The reason I didn't fill out my profile is because I haven't tried much...just one amp and two basses, the amp and one bass both being starters.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Always check the forums here. Most of the people that sell gear on here have "checked it out" so to say and you can usually trust ratings. I found some really good amps/combos UNDER your price range in the classifieds.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Ampeg B200R would be a nice rig. I've also checked out the Peavey 115 (300 watts) and it's pretty nice but a bit heavy.

7. I've got the same bass as you and I love it when it's played through a GK 700rbII or a 1000rbII. For $800 you could get one used and an Avatar cab or get a new head and a used cab. Once you get a head and cab you'll never want to play through a combo again. :bassist:

8. Tadp0le

Tadp0le

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys. Any other ideas?

9. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    G-K combo of course. The 400rb 2-10 should fit the bill, yes I am biased as this is what i play some of the time. Plenty loud and sounds like butter when lined out with a 15. Me stuff gets loud at that point! Oh, and its good to be back at TalkBass; it has been awhile.:)

10. Hartke HA3500-350w Tube & s.s. pre amp- are great amps at great prices even new right now!!!!! Then get an Avatar cab-2x12 perhaps to go with.