reccomend an upgrade.......

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassist31588, Sep 6, 2003.

1. I'm gonna keep this short, but I'm currently using a school model Englehardt string bass for home practice, my school has 2 others with high action and 3 other unknown basses with peeling fingerboards. I'm not too sure on the model of the Englehardt, but It's not the "swing master" one or whatever.

Eiher way, does anyone know some decent places here in Connecticut to check out some intermediate basses with good playability, adjustable bridges preferred, but with the money I'm working with I'll end up putting that on as a modification most likely with a Realist pickup (I have access to a Barcus Berry Cello/Bass transducer/preamp which is home right now)... Either way, I'm sick of playing uprights with action that's roughly 1-2 Inches high off the finerboard in the upper most register... That's not cool for fingerstyle and DEFINETLY not cool for upper register playing. Either way, I don't mind student model uprights as I am only 15, but I've been playing upright seriously for over a year and have about 3 years total on it... pictures of my current upright:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Either way, I'm looking for good playability, $1500-$2000 or even a used $1200. I WILL BE FINANCING, I'M POOR. I'm looking at $40-$50 a month for financing.
  2. sorry people... reading the sticky at the top... for the meantime, anyone know any good shops in COnnecticut?
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Check out
  4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    In order of proximity:
    David Mix, Branbuty CT (203) 488-7368
    AES: Arnold Schnitzer, Brewster, NY (845) 279-4884
    Jeff Bollbach, Freeport, LI (516) 867-1395

You can also fix up the Engelhart if it's yours, a good luthier may save you alot of dough that way, and a set-up geared to your playing needs can make a world of difference.

5. The E-S 9 Swingmaster they have there might be a possibility for an upgrade. Saw it for $1450.
    Oh, and by the way, just curious, who have you been studying with in the area?
  6. Yeah that Swingmaster looks a little tempting actually. I've been studying upright with Chris Deangelis, a Westconn student and I go back with electric bass and guitar with Steve Famiglietti. I'm going to be stopping soon to take from Jeff Fuller, you should know of him. Teaches music composition and currently has taken over the jazz Department at a magnet music school, ECA, in New Haven. umm... he gets NEA Grants meaning he gets paid to compose music by the state. I can't wait. I gotta call him though, right now, thanks for reminding me... I hope he has slots still open:p
  7. heheh... I dig your signature. There seems to be a distinct lack of humor on this board... I attribute it to the excessive inhalation of rosin dust.
  8. It's something my friend had in his profile, it was just too good;)
  9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    You're right-once one tones down the sophomoric there tends to be less volume of humor.
  10. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    On top of that, it's an old joke.