Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reccomend me a compressor.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Oct 23, 2005.

1. My request is simple, it's just what the thread title says.

But first, some background on me and my playing style:

-I've been playing three years
    -I play fairly heavy-handed two and three fingerstyle
    -I am influenced by Steve Harris, Roger Patterson and Steve Digiorgio, especially tone wise- lots of mids and treble for a crisp sound
    -My amp is an Ampeg 100-watt BA-115 1x15
    -I like solid pedals that are a solid price

Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have tried a large number of compressor pedals new and vintage, and my absolute favorites for heavy music are:
    1) Citrus Squeeze by Vintage Tone Project (the best updated clone of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer)
    2) Ibanez UE303B ('70s), which has compressor, chorus, and auto-filter. The equivalent single pedal is the CP9, but the CP9 doesn't have quite as much bottom end as the UE. Could be fine since you like lots of mids and treble anyway.
    Both of these options have a lot of punch and fatness, and can also be dialed to provide a little tasty distortion on top!

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    EBS Multicomp - best compressor I've found so far

4. yeah, talking about about compressors. anybody out there ever tried one of those boutique Keeley compressors? i heard it is pretty good for bass as well. any sound samples of it on the bass?

5. Yes, the EBS is a good one. I have been using the Demeter Compulator. I love it on bass and any other instrument I put through it. Haven't tried the Keeley but I hear good things from friends, guitarists and bassist alike. All three are built to last. Many others out there, I'm sure. What's your price limit? The EH units are solid, too. Not sure how you feel about tubes in your pedal, though!

Brad

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

This is the one I was going to suggest!

Compact, built like it was made in Scandinavia and versatile setting capability too!:D

7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I just got a used EBS Multi Comp. Now, keep in mind that I rarely use effects and so haven't tried many pedals...

This pedal (with a Warwick thumb b/o, eden wt400, eden 210xlt, 112xlt cabs) is bringing out everything that I like about my setup. I was worried that I'd be hearing too much of the "finger slide" sound, but nope: it's a great addition to my setup.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use the Boss CS-3 as my main, broadband compressor, but don't forget about the idea of a low-freq-only compressor, like the Aphex Xciter.

I run the CS-3 into an Xciter for my "multiband" (uh - 'psudo-multiband'?) compression. I use this combination full-time; I never turn them off.

Joe

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    A compressor thread without Aphex Punch Factory being mentioned? Unbelieveable ;)

Simple, solid and a very nice sound! You might aswell have a look at that one. Also it's not too pricy.