1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reccomend me a new G and E string?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by thesneakyjesus, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hello all,
    I have been using evah pirazzi strings for a few months now on my main bass and I love them. I recently did a recording with this bass and it wasn't 100% as far as tone goes. It was very close though!

I find the G string is not totally to my liking for the open pitch. Is there something similar that has a more rich, smooth, warm sound with the bow? Possibly a belcanto G?

Also, I've been considering a permanent E string. I love the Evah E with the bow, but I find it a tad bit weak on my bass. I was hoping to get something with similar traits in warmth with a bit more bottom and little more bite. The permanent E string I played the other day on a one off lesson I played was great sounding. Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

Pizzicato tone is a little bit of a factor. The Evahs are good enough for pizz on this bass, so the replacement strings would have to be similar in pizz punch/sustain, but this isn't a HUGE concearn. I play wit With this bass I'll be doing a little bit of jazz here and there, but I mostly prefer the arco tone. I have another bass I'm going to just suck up and throw spriocores onto it for most jazz gigs.

Thanks everyone.

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Silly question - but if you're unhappy with the G and E string on the Evahs...why are you sticking with them at all?

I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I don't play much arco, so I can't give you any suggestions there (and may be a reason I'm not fully understanding the mixing up of strings to the degree you're talking about) other than perhaps it would be worth a shot to try a full set of permanents -?

3. it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a full set of permanents.

The A and D sound beatiful. The E string sounds great but is a bit weak on my bass, which is a bit on the small end.

The G is okay, but, especially with solo play, it's important to have a nice warm open G, and I just don't think this is all the way there.

My bass just needs some special attention maybe?

4. Maybe your instrument just needs a bit of setup tweeking?
    I'm thinking of the soundpost in particular.
    Just my $0.02

5. Hey guys.
    I've been playing the bass a lot today with the bow working on the cello suites. I think I can make the G work for me if I just practice enough. It is clear that the E isn't enough on my bass. I think I'll try a permanent E. I would like something with a big pizz blossom though. Any ideas?