1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reccomend me a octave pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by double-muff, Feb 27, 2008.

1. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    is the title is written right?

Hello.
    I am going to purchase a octave pedal next month but i dont know anything beyond that they lower your tone(right?).
    The pedal will most likely be used with a fuzz (EHX LBM) and i dont want to shop off the internet so i have these company's to shop from.

Digitech
    ProCo
    Fender
    Danelectro
    MXR/Jim Dunlop
    Electro Harmonix
    Ampeg
    Ashdown
    BOSS/Roland
    T-Rex
    VOX
    t.c electonics
    Korg
    Behringer
    Line 6

So let the reccomendations begin.

2. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I believe the EHX Micro Pog will give you one octave down or one octave up. I heard one demonstrated at the NAMM and it seemed to track well.

George

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Too many recommendations for the Micro POG :D

4. Not on your list, but what about trying the EBS octa pedal. I'm very pleased with mine, great pedal.

5. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I absolutely love my EHX Micro POG. I've yet to be able to make it stutter. Plus it's one of the few that are polyphonic and will track any double/triple-stops you might play.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Out of those companies I believe you'll have these pedals to choose from:

Digitech Bass Synth Wah (set in octave mode)
    Danelectro Chili Dog Octave
    MXR Bass Octave
    EHX Micro POG
    EHX Octave Multiplexer
    EHX HOG
    EHX Bass Micro Synth (has an octave on it I think)
    Ampeg SCP-OCT
    Ashdown Bass Sub-Octave Plus
    Boss OC-3

And some other options that I forgot about or aren't worth mentioning. So that's a lot of different pedals to research. I'd recommend thinking about whether you want the more organ-like sound of a digital octaver or the more synth like sound of an analog octaver to narrow down your search. Personally out of those I would either go with the Boss OC-3 (digital) or the MXR Bass Octave (analog). But that's me.

7. You mentioned the HOG and the Micro POG, but not the POG itself. That is also a cool pedal, with a few more options than the Micro

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    So I did. Add that one. I'd still either go with the OC-3 or MXR.

Oh, and I'd also recommend doing a search on octave pedals to learn more about what they do so you can really decide whether one is for you or not.

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Micro-POG

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    One up and one down. It's pretty nice-sounding too, copes with open A just about, tracks great on anything above open D. But of course for that money you could have a Micro POG and lots of change, and get polyphonic tracking into the bargain.

I would love a Micro POG but I can't justify having three octave pedals, and I love the sound of my OC-2 too much to get rid of it.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    It's more elaborate than that.

Most octave pedals (sometimes called sub-octave pedals, octave-down pedals, or octavers) will produce a note that is one octave below the note you play.

If you want an idea of how it sounds... try this:

- On the A string, play the note at the 5th fret (it's a D).
    - On the G string, play the note at the 7th fret (it's a D as well).

Pluck these two notes simultaneously
    (you'll need to use different fingers so you don't pluck the D string by accident).

You've just simulated what an octave pedal will generally sound like. :)

Most analog octave pedals will produce a "dirtier" sub-octave than what you will hear from that, and the notes will get "warbly" if you're playing notes on the E string and lower notes of the A string. Digital pedals usually are much cleaner and can go lower.

There are also octave-up pedals. Most of these are octave fuzz pedals which add on a fuzzed note that's one octave above. Think "Jimi Hendrix" and you'll get the idea.

A few digital octave-up pedals can actually produce a clean octave up, and it's extremely useful for the "organ" sound. This is partly why the POG and Micro POG are famous (they both do sub-octave notes, too, and can track chords effortlessly - hence the term "polyphonic").

Class dismissed. :D

12. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK