Reccomend me some basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rambob, Apr 28, 2005.

1. rambob

Mar 28, 2005
    I play in quite a thrashy band and love the sound of bassists such as Dave Ellefson (Megadeth), Frank Bello (Anthrax), Steve Degiorgio (Death, Testament and many more) and the bassist from Exodus i cant remember the name of. What bass would best achieve these sounds? Im currently a 4 string player but wouldn't mind taking a dive for a fiver, although a 4 will suit me fine. What basses would you reccomend? Moneywise i could afford around $1000, but i can always save up more.

Thanks for any help in advance.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Dave Ellefson has used P basses and Modulus Quantums among others, both quality choices. EMG pickups are the call no matter what you end up with. To get closer to that sound, the best purcase you could make is an Ampeg SVT w/ 810 cab.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fender American Deluxe Precision. Ellefson used those. Frank Bello uses CS basses but has also been seen with Fender Aerodynes (a P/J combo) so either way, I think you'd be safest with something with a P-style pickup. Either one above would work.

And pickles, where's the SVT recommendation come from? Ellefson used Peavey amps, Bello is all Fender.
  4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Well shows how current I am ... when I was into metal everyone used svts... metallica, pantera ... I thought that included megadeath though I could be wrong.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe Bello used Ampegs with Anthrax, but switched to Fender amps for Helmet. At least that's what he said in Bass Player.

Anyway, you have a ton of options in your price range. EMG pickups have great clarity and cut through the mix like butter. Definitely look into ESP/LTD (maybe the B404 or B405, or perhaps even the Surveyor) or the Spector Legend series. Spector and ESP tend to favor EMGs.

EDIT: And if you're not above buying used, you may be able to snag a really good used Warwick or something.
  6. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    MTD Kingston active. You could get a 4 and a 5 for just under a grand...
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Spector Euro 4.... thru neck, EMG's, gold heavy duty hardware..... and it's a Spector... check it out :)
  8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Check out the Lakland Skyline series, great quality!!
  9. goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    warwick thumb bolt-on with wenge neck !!
    it's cuts trough any mix like crazy
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually Dave used GK+Hartke for a long time, including on Rust in Peace and Countdown (the two best Megadeth albums IMO).

People have already mentioned Spectors and ESPs. I'll second those, best two basses for metal in my book. Nothing else really comes close for me, except mid 90s vintage USA Jacksons (Dave E's bass of choice for a while).

Warwick makes nice basses but they have to much color for me, something that gives them their famous "punch" but I think makes for a muddy mix of tones when played under really heavy guitars. Spectors and ESPs still sing but are much more even. If you check out warwicks really try and imagine how that tone will work in your band (if possible drag along a guitarist to wail on a nearby triple rec for you).

That said metal is way more an amp game than a bass game. Almost any bass through a good amp can be made to sound cool.
  11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats what I was trying to say with the SVT comment.