Reccomendations for a first DB...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jAcKyL8643, May 9, 2004.

1. Ok guys im 14 and have been playing an electric for two years, and I can read bass and treble cleft. I REALY want to start DB but i dont know where to begin.I need to think cheap, I'm 5'11" and i dont know what sise, or brand, or anything. I wanna play jazz so i dont need a bow. Any info you guys could give me would be MUCH appriciated.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Look one thread up, read newbie links for a long time, then come back with specific questions. Study hard, and not just the bass.
  3. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Well, how cheap is cheap? A well made new instrument is about a grand to two grand. There are basses on eBay for less than $500 but you may put the other $500 in it to make it play well, and it will still be a $500 bass. Used basses are what you can find. If you invest in a good bass it will appreciate in value so when it comes time to trade up or sell you will get your money and then some.

The most common size double bass is a 3/4. At 5'11" that should fit you just fine. I was given the advise to check the newbie links and I suggest you do the same. There is alot of good stuff in those discussions. ;) Welcome to the dark side :)

4. Very subtle Marcus!
  5. at least i got a little encouragement :p