reccomendations for a home 8-track cd recorder/studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve22603, May 25, 2003.

1. steve22603

May 4, 2003
    this will be my first attempt at home recording. i have looked at a couple of CD 8-track recorders by korg and roland but know nothing about the product, as well as quality and simplicity. i do not want a top of the line model, just something simple for at home "messin' around." thanks-steve
  2. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Hi - Check out the Fostex VF-160 w/ the internal CD-burner. They sell for around $900 (, etc...). I used to own a VF16 (same thing without the burner). This is a great unit. BTW, it is a 16 track recorder for less $$$ than most 8 track recorders!

You can record 8 tracks simultaneously. It has a compressor on channels 13-16 and the Master. Also included are two effects banks that can be used on every channel! They sound fairly decent.

The only downside to this recorder is the Low Frequency EQ. It is centered around 400HZ, which is basically useless for Bass Guitar and Kick Drum. You can go out and pick up a cheap outboard parametric EQ (Behringer) for about $70. If you buy the VF160 let me know and I will let you in on some tips & tricks.

You should also check out this website - Check out the forum on this site. You will find a wealth of info on the recorder.

Good luck!

- Tom
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    if you don't have enough money to get that $900 fostex, get the $300 red one ( i dont know the model name) but my friend got it and its pretty nice.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Its the VF08. It's okay, but the effects are not as good and you get no phantom power for your condenser mics. If you need to save some dough, you might choose the VF80. Its the same as the VF160, but 8 tracks, no CDR, and only two channels in.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    500$ dell pc and
    400$ e-mu 1820