Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reccomendations for pop synth unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lewk, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I'm recently getting into playing bass in live pop covers bands, stuff like britney, outkast, anastacia, stuff like that. A lot of the time the bass is done on a computer and has a synth sound, are there any effects units out there i could get that replicate this live? I was led to believe by a friend this is what a V-bass does, but after research it seems to be more of an amp modeling unit than a synth unit.

i did a search and went back four or five pages but found nothing that seemed to be of use. cheers guys!

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Can't go wrong with the Electro Harmonix bass synth pedal...

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There are a few units out there that do bass synth stuff. Depends on what your budget is...

If you wanted to go the whole hog, you could MIDI up your bass and use it to trigger synth bass sounds in a rack unit. The V-Bass isn't really a midi unit, and can't produce midi out signals onto other sound units.

Otherwise, it's on to pedals/stompboxes.

At the top of the heap, there's the Korg G5 and Akai Deep Impact (both have unfortunately been discontinued but turn up on evilBay from time to time). Both can store multiple patches. Lots of discussion on both these pedals in the archives.

EHX Bass Micro Synth. Analog synthy goodness, but not true bypass, a bit fragile and no presets. Sounds great though.

Digitech Bass Synth Wah ($80) has some usable synth sounds, but they're not stellar. Most people use it because in one mode you get the best tracking octaver out there!

There's also the Boss SYB-3 synth bass pedal. I've never used it, apparently the tracking isn't too hot and the sounds aren't great either.

Last one I can think of is the Ibanez SB-7 pedal. Not so much a synth, but you can get some cool filter tones out of it.

4. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003

do they deal in the UK? are they expensive? money is noobject if i want it, as i will save up for a looooong time. is it instant response? (tracking?)

can you quickly switch between different effects?

I'm going to check it out on the web soon, cheers for the suggestion.

5. The bass ctr in London or Manchester have EH bass synths in, I know the Manchester shop has them for sure!

Tony

6. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    woah fellow UK tb'er! I may have to go try them out.

as far as "going midi" is concerned, is that getting some kind of midi pickup device and plugging it into regular synthesiser units?

7. Going the midi route involves fitting a midi pick up such as the Roland or Yamaha units (I've forgot the actual model numbers) then you need a pitch to midi converter which would be one of two units the Axon or Yamaha GT5 (I think) the Axon has built in sounds but really you need to be routing the midi out to a cool sounding synth unit like an A-station, a lot of messing about and last time I tried one the tracking was garbage! Another option is a bass with built in midi like a Peavy cyber bass, one went on e-bay in the UK a few weeks back for around £400 and then there is the midi equipped Wal but you talking big ££ there.
    Personally I would forget the midi route, V-bass is a good comprimise if you don't mind the pick up and controller fitted to your bass.
    Forget the Boss bass synth pedal, I had one for a few years and the tracking is not too good, I've heard the Akai is good and the EH should work well as it's analouge as opposed to digital like the Boss pedal.
    Like I said the Bass ctr in Manchester has EH pedals in, give them a ring, speak to Rich or napper, they will do you a good deal!

Tony

8. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I'll pop in next time I'm in city centre, but last time I was in I get the feeling the guy thought I was some kid who didnt know what I was talking about (even though i'm 20?) Though then again he was doing deals over the phone for very expensive guitars so I spose one unconfident speaking guy isn't going to matter much :)