1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reccomendations on a Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I have a good friend that will be buying her first bass guitar, and she wants a short scale.

I have, and enjoy, an SX PJ. I know they have their short scales, are they comparable, in quality/praise, to their standard sizes?

She's a good musician and she wants something that will last her a while. I know SX's are decent, but she also doesn't have the skills/motivation to mod it in anyway. Would something else be a better long-term deal? Possibly a Fender Mustang? Are there any specific companies to look into that have notable short scales? I was thinking Japanese brands because i want to say i heard that they have a wider selection of short scales than American brands...

Also, in regards to pickup configuration, will a short scale have a significantly altered tone compared to it's standard scale bretheren? IE: will a short scale Jazz sound like a standard scale Jazz?

Thanks TB!

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Depends on the dough she's willing to spend... You mention the Mustang, which is on my short list (PUN!!!)... Great stock, can easily go an entire career without modding... I also like older Musicmasters, (more actually, but that's just me), but feel that they benefit tremendously with some electronics work...

An Epi Viola bass can also get the job done indefinitely with no modding necessary... Also, from Epiphone, the Allen Woody Rumblekat is a great bass. If it weren't for my massive aversion to gold hardware, I would own one!

For sale right here on the TB forum is a Jerry Jones Shorthorn that I am dying to own... Alas, my current financial situation mocks me...

High dollars can get you into Birdsong, Landing, and custom basses, (I played a Rob Allen Mouse and a Kinal Kompact at the GTG this weekend that were very nice), but those have been hard for me to justify...

As far as tone, you may find that short-scales have a 'less complex fundamental' or 'subdued overtones' when compared to their longscale counterparts, but that's fairly esoteric... To me, they sound a bit thumpier is all, but in a good way... In a live band setting, they sound, well... like a bass!

-robert

3. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    You should have her check out the Landing that is for sale in the want-ads. Great basses and a very good price. A new one will cost you $1299.00

4. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Well, I have a SX short scale, and really like it. Depending on the strings, a shorty (any shorty) can sound EXACTLY like a regular scale (34"), and maybe even a little deeper. Listen to 'Talking Heads". Tina Weymouth played a shorty, and her sound is outstanding. The same with Jack Bruce/Cream. The SX threads on here are endless, but in general, price/quality is really good, especially for a beginner. You can spend thousands on a bass, and end up paying alot for a name, not for a sound. My suggestion, start out with something relitively inexpensive, and learn to play it and play it well, then if you feel the need, get something else, but it would be a shame it pay alot for a bass, and find out that bass is not your thing!

5. Thanks guys!

I did forget to mention, her price range is $500 and under.

6. :cool:

7. csm672

csm672

Nov 2, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Look into the Gretsch Electromatic. GC has them for under $250. This is a GREAT bass for the money. They only come in this sunburst blackish-green color (I don't really like the color!) But for the money I doubt she would find anything comparable new.

8. What about the Ibanez Micro? I know quite a few people on here have them and seem to really like them.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  10. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Definitly have her check one out.

11. Jerry Jones.

Any model will last a life time: Longhorn, single horn or a dual horn.

A serious instrument with the retro vibe.